What is a good logo?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#41 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

actually I don't know if you noticed , but to me, the main problem on DC is not contestHolder, but designers ....
we still have way too many plagiarism issue, or cheating or unacceptable behaviour ... but it's getting a bit better lately.
Anyway, you seem to be willing to make this place better ... and that's good !

I do not want to go around criticizing designers, but this is the truth. with the purity of good designers we have here we can make this site a reference on the design and raise the name of the DC.

#42 Mini

Mini

• Designer
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

If it's a weak brief go bonkers! If it's a very set brief follow guidelines ..however I usually throw in a wild card! Really it's about developing your skills isn't it so .. do the best you can!

Edited by Mini, 09 February 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#43 trebz

trebz

• Designer
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:46 PM

on my own opinion all the submitted design are deserving, its all up to the taste or preferrence of the client which design they will choose. Remember thay are the one who will use and pay for the logo :) JMHO

#44 trebz

trebz

• Designer
  • 599 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:53 PM

If it's a weak brief go bonkers! If it's a very set brief follow guidelines ..however I usually throw in a wild card! Really it's about developing your skills isn't it so .. do the best you can!

-----
100% agree.

#45 Hossuno

Hossuno

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

When I first joined last week I thought about how the client is given the freedom to chose what they feel is best. Maybe at somepoint a seperate committee could be put together to challenge the clients choice and give advice. I am sure we all see it in our jobs, the company I work for the clients are often so close to their old brand or ideas that they feel they know best when we give them concepts. We challenge them and sometimes they just don't listen, sometimes to the point that we walk away. In the end they pay the money but its sad sometimes when you see a really good design get pushed to the side.

#46 fantasthink

fantasthink

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Being a creative director over 15 years, I have some ideas about what is a great logo. Simplicity is the one and only answer to this question. Look at the great logos that everyone agree like Nike, Apple, Adidas or any other logo that you think that its great. They are all simple and functional. But they are not just simple shapes. They all are bearers of a one simple message like you can count on us (nike), we are brave enough to change life (apple) and get ready for the challenge (adidas) or so on. Or they represents the historical background of the company they belong like Audi, Ferrari, Toblerone logos.

Simple message, simple shape=great logo

#47 ozie

ozie

Banned

• Banned
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

i always think i have a lot to learn for a good logo

#48 an-kin-san

an-kin-san

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

for me, a good logo is one that meets the expectations of the client, it is also quite simple, recognizable and memorable, but the last sentence and the decision is, of course, to clienting because he will use logos
and it does not matter whether the logo was done in 15 minutes or 2 days, but must comply with the expectations

#49 sajid2032

sajid2032

• Designer
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

IN A CONTEST EVERY LOGO IS THE BEST ITS DEPEND UPON the ch mood what it pick up some time the logo which could not seem to be very impressive but it wont i think it also depend upon the luck also

#50 first

first

• Designer
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Rule of any business - the client is always right! DC - a working platform for designers, instead of an exhibition плохиж or good works. At each customer the taste and he chooses that is pleasant to it болше all.

#51 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:06 AM

I am with you on this one. Its all in the eyes of the beholder.. Some see the imperfections as to being unique towards there brand and so such weak design concept is chosen as the winner. Some do not understand the branding and what it can do for there business and will choose whatever they feel fits best.. " Like going to someones house and taking a better pair of shoes when you leave." No just an expression I dont do that lmao...

#52 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

When I first joined last week I thought about how the client is given the freedom to chose what they feel is best. Maybe at somepoint a seperate committee could be put together to challenge the clients choice and give advice. I am sure we all see it in our jobs, the company I work for the clients are often so close to their old brand or ideas that they feel they know best when we give them concepts. We challenge them and sometimes they just don't listen, sometimes to the point that we walk away. In the end they pay the money but its sad sometimes when you see a really good design get pushed to the side.

As mentioned previous the client does not always see eye to eye on rebranding concepts. They are usually stuck to their old design with a very minor tweek, Change of color, font etc....Alot of this has to do with the old image has a preengaged impression already instilled in their clients eyes. So changing the old brand is a challenge for any CH and designer. Just look at the evolution of Pepsi and Adidas logos and how they are still evolving today. Maybe in the near future the Pepsi logo will end up looking more like the ying yang than what it is today lol

#53 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:33 AM

for me, a good logo is one that meets the expectations of the client, it is also quite simple, recognizable and memorable, but the last sentence and the decision is, of course, to clienting because he will use logos
and it does not matter whether the logo was done in 15 minutes or 2 days, but must comply with the expectations

I have done 3 min logos mostly for those who like text based branding. But the time is dependent on how intuned the designer is with all the tools and extensions available. There are many ways to get the same results some are better than others. Most get comfortable with the few palettes and never take the time to learn the others. Some of us use keystrokes instead of menu or palettes which also reduces time.

Not only knowledge of Adobe but also the new trends in branding or a specific niche market.

So many factors are based on time upon creation. Look at some professions like a lawyer.... GOOD EXAMPLE... When you call your lawyer it will cost you money... Usually big money lol... no matter if the conversation was 2 mins or 2 seconds your paying a flat rate per hour.. What your paying for is the expertise and experience of this service.

#54 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:35 AM

Amen

#55 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

I do not want to go around criticizing designers, but this is the truth. with the purity of good designers we have here we can make this site a reference on the design and raise the name of the DC.

If you have tried other sites you will notice that the plagiarism is higher than DC at most times. But they also pay higher also. Which makes it more sad... I have mentioned before the more a concept is repeated the less the Ch will choose for it becomes bland .. As if you walked in a store and every product was in a baby blue packaging on white shelves with the walls painted baby blue also. The item in res will always get more recognition lol... So by copying lessens not only your chance of winning but also is a total disrespect for the original concept and the CH..

#56 dblackless

dblackless

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

i think good logo=beuty if u look

#57 friendnand

friendnand

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

well, for me as they say,to each his own,we cant please everybody, right? what's good to me is i enjoy doing any logo & that's for arts sake. i just love arts, so i want it to go free. :)

#58 liatzsp

liatzsp

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

I definitely agree, it's very sucks sometimes ...
Almost always choose the less design I liked :confused:

And by the way I'm new on this site
Hope fitting in,
Meanwhile, I'm having fun

Good luck to all of us :)

#59 Veceretti

Veceretti

Banned

• Banned
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

The saddest part is when you´re winning and when the contest closes you get second place, even if your logo it´s way better.

#60 navin9949

navin9949

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:36 AM

Thats true.. there is no good logo.. its all depends up on client's mind. I myself posted so many designs.. good designs from my mind but the client selected designs which are not good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users