• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:17 AM

While sorting through my statistics today, I discovered a "designer" who happened to copy the old version of my website word for word, and even copied my images (one of which includes a copy of a business card I created). The whole design was copied also.

So, I was wondering, what do you all do with rippers when you discover them? or have you discovered them in the past?

My method: First, I contacted Mr. Ripper with an angry threat to shut down his website. Second, I did a WhoIs search on Mr. Ripper's domain, to discover who his hosting provider was. Third, I contacted the abuse department of the given hosting company, requesting that the site be shut down.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#2 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:05 AM

never experienced that .... but I understand the frustration all that time and somebody takes it as there own.....
www.uniment1.com :: Design Services

#3 Shutterbug

Shutterbug

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:38 AM

You probably will not disclose, but who is this parasite? This person needs to know that copyright infringement is not OK.

Your images and text should be protected under copyright law in the country where you created the document. I see you are from Canada, so Canadian copyright laws are in effect. You do not need to file for copyright for your work. The moment you create original work, the copyright of the work is yours. Most countries will also recognize the copyright of foreign created works. You can take legal action against the copyright violator. But, this can be very expensive and you may not get the sympathy of a foreign legal entity if the copyright violator is not from the same country as you are. Unfortunately, there is little you can do except what you have already done.

I find it flattering when somebody copies my style. I find it very annoying if the work is plagerized word for word and image for image. Grrrr!!!!!

#4 grimsqueaker

grimsqueaker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:14 PM

I've never had this happen to me before (or to my knowledge, anyway :p) but I imagine it must suck. I've heard that www.pirated-sites.com was a good place to go!

• Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:51 PM

I think you should also make the name and domain public, so that people knew he is not the person to do business with. Maybe we could kind of make a black list of those rippers?

#6 grimsqueaker

grimsqueaker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:22 PM

That's what pirated-sites.com is for. :)

• Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:42 PM

it's good, but you wouldn't go there to look up there to look up every person you want to work with. On the contrary, here most members will take notice.

#8 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

Well it appears that the ripper is a member of the community, and saw this thread as well as my email. The site has been removed.

I would still like to know other members reactions. This is a common occurance and there should be a better system in place to deal with such things.

#9 Shutterbug

Shutterbug

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

I think that if there is deliberate and obvious plagarism within the community, then at the minimum, the user should be removed by the administrators. This is a private site, so the owner should have final discrection.

#10 rucker

rucker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:48 PM

Neupix - I must admit, your content is good. I liked it. I liked it so much that I decided to redesign my site with more of a focus on content.

If you visit my services page, and go to Web Design // Online Copywriting // Search Engine Optimization, you'll notice that I patterned my content after yours.

In what I did, it's a form of flattery. The 'parasite' was just...plainly wrong.

#11 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:09 AM

Hi bjrucker,

I have no problem being a source of inspiration, and I am glad that my content has helped you develop your own :)

#12 grimsqueaker

grimsqueaker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:12 PM

it's good, but you wouldn't go there to look up there to look up every person you want to work with. On the contrary, here most members will take notice.

Oooh, like on the forums? I getcha. Thought you meant you wanted to create a new site just to alert people of the pirates.
Having in a section of the forums devoted to that might be a good idea!

#13 DtRiCk

DtRiCk

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 88 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:33 AM

So do you know who the person is yet?

#14 zack

zack

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:19 AM

Is there anyway you can prove it's stolen...If so, can you tell their host to delete it?

#15 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:45 AM

Is there anyway you can prove it's stolen...If so, can you tell their host to delete it?

Yes. If the site is still online, Google Cache usually has an older version of your website in place. When you create any material, you also have all the original source files. The ripper doesn't.

The source files all have "created on" dates, which prove when you made the design.

#16 pukkadesigns

pukkadesigns

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:48 AM

hello.

since plagiarism is no laughing matter, and is a serious offence, i'd like to share a couple of links off my bookmarks that i thought you would enjoy checking out.

This one's a logo design watchdog:
http://www.whoslogo.com/

and this one's a web design watchdog:
http://www.pirated-sites.com/

it's amusing to see the plagiarists get busted and exposed. ;-)

I wouldn't mind turning into a vermilion goldfish//Henri Matisse

#17 pukkadesigns

pukkadesigns

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:52 AM

Neupix,

sorry to hear about your site getting pirated. try submitting your site as the original one to http://www.pirated-sites.com/ , then sit back and and have peace of mind.
I wouldn't mind turning into a vermilion goldfish//Henri Matisse

#18 render

render

Guru

• Designer
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:00 AM

My Thoughts Exactly, Plagiarism is No Laughing Matter. It's A Problem. Sorry To Hear About That Neupix. Well, At Least This One's Been Taken Care Of, Good To Hear!!
Rest in peace Nevadabadgirl

#19 pringles

pringles

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 03:36 PM

i never experienced it, never even thought about that happening, ...
it's a sad world we're living in, if people are even to lazy to use their on imagination... :(

#20 sucka

sucka

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:21 PM

Mostly kids, but if they get older, they will stop to do that. Theres nothing than trouble with it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users