&nsbp;

#1 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 04:00 AM

I would like to post up a sticky titled "reasons to start a guaranteed contest"

Can I get something like a top 10 reasons to start a guaranteed contest?

We know designers perfer a guaranteed contest, now what would be a good reason for clients to start a guaranteed contest?

What do you guys think about having a possible 2nd place prize in exchange of a slightly lower 1st place prize?

#2 creativemeasures

creativemeasures

Banned

• Banned
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 05:03 AM

Please don't get to carried away with trying to implement to many new ideas.

Yes guaranteed contest are a good idea,but the idea of having a second place prize is well is................let me put it this way this is not cake cookoff at some school fate.It should be the best design that represents what the client has asked for,otherwise were do you draw the line.......3rd prize..........most improved prize.......top rookie prize.

Lastly if you make it too hard for people to start a contest there will go elsewhere.If your worried about your work being stolen,at lest put a light watermark over it to make it harded to use.

Anyhow thats my 2 cents.

:)

#3 rtbenson

rtbenson

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 05:11 AM

I think 2nd place is a very good idea. At FlashKit, contests with 2nd places usually got more entries, and the designers were overall very happy with the contests. Nobody felt like they were getting ripped off, and everybody was happy.

Then the forum became moderated and things fell apart. However, the moderators here have been doing a good job, and since there is no liability, the site works well.

In conclusion: 2nd place contests
1. Get more entries
2. End with happier designers

Thanks,
Brendan Benson

#4 DDD

DDD

Banned

• Banned
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 07:27 AM

Hands down I think this whole forum should be guaranteed. designoutpost has been running for a while like that with no probs. It keeps everyone honest and will bring better designers to this forum as well make the existing developers try that much harder. I have a few designer friends who want to join but will remain at designoutpost for this particular reason. Also no second prize. That is wack.

Also I think there should be a way to weed out some of the developers (just being honest so dont flame me, but some folks need more practice, but not at the expense of a clients time). Maybe have people submit a portfolio before they are allowed aboard. Just my thought. I had a few potential contest holders contact me directly because of that. You dont want this forum to becomes peoples personal job board.

Like I said this is just my opinion so please no flames.
Corporate Identity/Branding
Multimedia Design/Development
Web/Application Development
2d/3d Animation/Development

We Do It. www.implod.com

#5 Fofo

Fofo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 09:05 AM

Agreed. I think guaranteed contests should be the only contests. And it should be up to the host to decide if he wants to offer a 2nd place prize, not an obligation
Posted Image
Advanced Design for the Progressive Dummy
MSN: [email protected]

#6 karl472001

karl472001

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 December 2003 - 04:20 PM

I do not think a 2nd prize sounds that good. The people posting the contests may not want to put up extra money for second prize.

• Guests

Posted 28 December 2003 - 07:54 PM

Well, what I think is that we should keep non guaranteed contests for a while to allow us an easy transition to guaranteed contests only.

At the moment that contest is moderated. Later on we'll be recruiting a team of designers who will be alowed to post in that forum. So that one day you will have to be a member of the team to be able to enter the contests. We need to think about the recruiting process. Are we going to take votes or just admins/moderators' approval should be enough?

As for the second, third, fifth and seventeenth prize, it should be up to clients. We shouldn't onlige them nor should we forbid them to offer these prizes.

#8 BBGorB

BBGorB

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 08:49 AM

In my opinion, there is no need to mention non-guaranteed contest to clients, considered prices at DC are no where near professional charges, there is no way clients can get design at a better price elsewhere. If one is unwilling to pay $1 for a sandwich, it tells you one of the followings:

1. Your sandwich does not appeal to him
2. He's not hungry or
3. He's completely broke.

And if ppl in DC.net really believe they've got what it takes to be designers, I'd suggest from now on the term "guaranteed contest" should only be spoken amongst designers.

Here are my little suggestions which hopefully will help driving DC.net forward:
Try "selling" professional services in the DC.net website and stating professional charges, this will give ppl an idea of how much "design" should cost. These images of "professionalism" can then be used to rebound clients to the contest section advertised with something like: "Want a COST EFFECTIVE design solution for your business? DC.net contest can help you finding your ideal design incl. company identity, logo / graphic / web / interactive design and more..."

Reasons for hosting a contest in DC.net:
1. Design is a necessity, a good design might not generate 5% additional revenue, but no / poor design will definitely drive end users / potential clients away.
2. The cost of hosting a contest at DC.net is much lower than hiring a Consultant.
3. We have a pool of talented designers eager to show off their diverse skills.
4. All registered designers at DC are semi-pro / professional Designers and their work are 100% original inspired by your desire for a perfect design.
5. As the contest holder, you have total control over the direction of your project (For those who don't have a clue what they want, DC.net can offer consultation, as a separate professional service)
6. Our forum provides communications between you and the contestants, so that you can keep track of the project progress.
7. Full refund if not satisfied?

The approach here is to provide alternative solutions which keeps clients interested in DC.net one way or another.

As for the recruitment process, it should include a declaration from the designer claiming that all works in his/her portfolio are original.

One more suggestion if I may, how about subdividing the contest section into two categories:

1. open contest (open to all designers with portfolio)

2. private contest (contest holders can invite a number of designers they think are suitable for the project, base on their portfolio, a rating system would help too, and only those who are invited will have the privilege to participate in the contest)

?
N D E S I G
G N D E S I
I G N D E S
S I G N D E
E S I G N D
D E S I G N

#9 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the well thought out response BB, exactly what I was looking for :-)

And I agree about not using the term "guaranteed", a secured prize contest should be the norm, not the exception.

#10 Shyflower

Shyflower

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 11:18 AM

deleted

#11 Shyflower

Shyflower

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 168 posts

Posted 29 December 2003 - 11:21 AM

deleted

• Guests

Posted 29 December 2003 - 10:31 PM

BBGorB, Thanks for your insightful ideas!

#13 jamesking

jamesking

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2003 - 03:34 PM

I agree with shyflower. We want to encourage more clients, but if they have to pay out for two prizes, then surely that'll put them off.
http://www.emergemedia.co.uk/ - My UK Website Design Company

#14 logotect

logotect

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 06:07 PM

I just see one issue about screening designers that can participate in the guaranteed contests. How will contestants be selected? For example, what if a contestant was really good at web design, but not so good in logo designing? Will he/she be rejected or will he/she be limited to participating in web design contests only? Because a lot of graphics designers specialize in a particular area -- i.e. web design, Flash animation, logo design, etc. -- will you have to be good in all areas to become one of the members allowed to participate in contests?

#15 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 07:26 PM

logotect... no... people have sent in portfolios with only logos or only web designs, and they won't be excluded becasue of that...

Anyone accepted will be allowed to participate in all contests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users