&nsbp;

#1 colordesign

colordesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:32 AM

http://bingweb.bingh...da1/thomaslech/

Just finished it today.This is for a NYC photographer.

#2 vektorthunder

vektorthunder

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:00 AM

that's nice web, i love simple navigation in flash

and that lady is very gorgeous ...
my works at :bnrdesign and istockphoto

#3 hooperman

hooperman

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:25 AM

Hi colordesign,

I'm not too keen on 'splash' screens (i.e. click to enter). It just means one extra click for the user. That said, I do like the design, it's very clean and I like the light colours. It feels very fresh.

• Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:40 PM

I like the design. Clean, simple and quite understandable - user friendly. Though I have to admit I don't like splash screens and pop up windows...

#5 colordesign

colordesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

I hve never given much thought about splash screens, if I like those or not.I guess I have nothing against splash screens nor I love those.

So what is so bad with splash screens?

• Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:21 PM

an extra unneeded click for your user :)

#7 hooperman

hooperman

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:50 PM

If the user is there, he/she is already interested in the site. Why not just present the site?

• Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:20 PM

the user is lazy...
besides you are more interested in the user than the user in your website ;) Don't mean anything bad, but you've got to face it - there are hundreds of your competitors and to the potential client there is no real difference which one to pick (unless he is looking specificly for the info on your company). So if there is anything, any smallest thing that disturbs user experience he will simply leave. That's only my personal opinion though...

#9 colordesign

colordesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 106 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:53 PM

You do have a point but sometimes the client wants things build in a certain way.And he has strong feelings about this :D

• Guests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:45 PM

You do have a point but sometimes the client wants things build in a certain way.And he has strong feelings about this :D

good point :)

#11 Uniment1

Uniment1

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 381 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:17 PM

nice site ...very clean...
www.uniment1.com :: Design Services

#12 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:50 PM

I like his photography, but what services does he offer, can he be hired? How can I contact him? How would I go about getting his photos to appear in my magazine? Who is Thomas Lech and where have his photos appeared?

The basic site looks good, but there is no real substance/content behind it. I am also not a fan of music or splash screens, something to consider is making the music off by default.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#13 colordesign

colordesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:20 AM

You have your opinion and i respect it.The contact info will be on the splash screen.
I wonder what you think about microsoft's origami poject.It didn't say what it is about(in the first 2 weeks), and it had music.

Fresh,Innovative,Exciting doesn't mean common.

I like his photography, but what services does he offer, can he be hired? How can I contact him? How would I go about getting his photos to appear in my magazine? Who is Thomas Lech and where have his photos appeared?

The basic site looks good, but there is no real substance/content behind it. I am also not a fan of music or splash screens, something to consider is making the music off by default.

#14 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:41 AM

You have your opinion and i respect it.The contact info will be on the splash screen.
I wonder what you think about microsoft's origami poject.It didn't say what it is about(in the first 2 weeks), and it had music.

Fresh,Innovative,Exciting doesn't mean common.

I was giving you constructive feedback about what you presented to us as a finished website. Please don't insult me by calling me "common". If you can't handle constructive criticism, don't get into this business, because it is a harsh world full of realities.

The microsoft origami website was produced to invoke discussion amongst the blogging community. They succeeded in creating a great marketing system. It now acts as a a mere splash page and links directly to the main microsoft website.

Splash screens are annoying. You will find this is a common opinion among most internet users. Check this site out:
http://www.websiteop...d/tweak/splash/

A website needs content for someone to want to stay on it. Web users have short attention spans, you have 10 seconds to make them happy before they go somewhere else. Besides the pretty pictures, I still see no information about this particular photographer that may be of use to anyone.

#15 vektorthunder

vektorthunder

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:52 AM

This is the reason that i have my website redesign ... again. :D
my works at :bnrdesign and istockphoto

#16 colordesign

colordesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:48 PM

I did explain why the website looks like that.If you are in this business you should know that there some clients that want their website build exactly the way they want. I already explained that above.
If you don't have 2 minutes to read what was written before don't tell me this is constructive criticism.
My intention was not to insult you and you shouldn't see an insult where there is none.
If that was an insult then what is this: "You will find this is a common opinion among most internet users"
:)

I agree that a website needs content for someone to want to stay on it but content is more than text.What is the most relevant content for a photographer if not photography?
Do you think that a bio would be more interesting?

I was giving you constructive feedback about what you presented to us as a finished website. Please don't insult me by calling me "common". If you can't handle constructive criticism, don't get into this business, because it is a harsh world full of realities.

The microsoft origami website was produced to invoke discussion amongst the blogging community. They succeeded in creating a great marketing system. It now acts as a a mere splash page and links directly to the main microsoft website.

Splash screens are annoying. You will find this is a common opinion among most internet users. Check this site out:
http://www.websiteop...d/tweak/splash/

A website needs content for someone to want to stay on it. Web users have short attention spans, you have 10 seconds to make them happy before they go somewhere else. Besides the pretty pictures, I still see no information about this particular photographer that may be of use to anyone.

#17 colordesign

colordesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:52 PM

By the way, he also told me to remove the navigation arrows now.Those navigation arrows took a lot of work but I remove those because the client should be pleased :D

#18 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

clients aren't always right. Its your job to let them know when they are wrong, and give them an appropriate solution. Even with the trickiest of clients I have been able to compromise with them and give them what they want, but still give them a functioning and usable website.

Content isn't only text. The photography is important, but a bio of the photographer as well as some other information about his work is equally important - especially if I was looking to hire him (This photographer does want business doesn't he?)

#19 colordesign

colordesign

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 106 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

It's my job to give the clients options but in the end it's their decision.They are paying me to get things the way they want so I am giving them what they want ;)

#20 feros

feros

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:55 AM

I pretty much agree with the previous posts in that I don't like splash pages or popups (flash popups especially). But like you said if that's what the client wants then you have to deliver.

However, there are still 2 flaws (in my opinion) in this site:
1) Navigation - Yea there's pictures at the bottom. And you can click them. Pretty women show up when you click them. But it wasn't even untill I reopened this page for a second time after discovering I had the splash still on my desktop that I realized there was 2 more clusters of pictures. The 3 dots can easily be overlooked and should be reworked I think.

2) Loading times - You say that since there's relatively no other information provided that the pictures are the only important thing; and that in relation to that the only aspect that the visitors of the site care about is viewing the photography. That being said, don't you think it will annoy your users that it takes 3-5 seconds to load each picture? It annoyed me and I only looked at a couple. The fact that the entire page has to stretch/shrink for each picture on top of a mini loading screen on top of a little black to truecolor effect makes for an honestly annoying amount of load time.

Overall I like the site, and the things I pointed out are very minor. They are also only my opinion, and if you don't like my opinion then I'm sorry and also kind of sad :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users