• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 llama

llama

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 10:01 AM

I thought that I'd just start a big multi-form compilation of whatever tips I and whoever wants to join in may have. I'm doing this across multiple forums, and will post what ones I believe to be good and valid one each of the threads so that the people at those forums may see them.

(Note: If you don't want your tip(s) to be posted at other forums, please say so in bolded text in your post)

1. Content is king

2. While content is king, it's always good to have a nice design.

3. Google likes header tags, but don't overuse them.

4. Never have a title like: -=JimBob's Monkey Site=- rather than one actually stating what's on the page.
ex: bad) -=Praying Mantis World=- on all of your pages, rather than good) Essay On the Reproduction of Mantids - Praying Mantis World

5. While one popup on one page is usually alright, flooding users with popups on all pages isn't.

6. Always use Title Tags, and it's good to include Meta Tags for the retarded Search Engines

7. It's not lots of money poured into a website that makes it great, it's lots of time and effort put into design, content, and other things, while money is helpful. Money will be earned from your site if you work hard enough, and have enough luck.

8. Frames are bad in almost any case you can think of.

9. Music is almost always horrible for websites.

10. Use contrasting colors in your design (black text on white background is best for content)

11. Don't comprimise a good viewing experience for 3,000 of your visitors just because one person's browser doesn't support it.

12. Use flash intros sparingly.

13. People don't like to be guided around websites by talking flash characters in almost any case.

14. Don't write articles around keywords, if you must, write articles THEN put in your keywords where you can fit them in.

15. If you build it, they will come. But not without a bit of work. Exchange some links to other websites. Be active in forums on the topic of your website.

16. Don't worry about draining your Google PageRank on other websites that you've linked to. It's not like their not raising yours, and if I'm correct, it actually raises your prominence for certain categories and rankings if you link to similarily topiced sites.

#2 BBGorB

BBGorB

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:12 AM

Great idea starting this thread Ilama, though your advices could be more persuasive if you give reasonings and examples. I haven't got time to make a list of practical tips like you did, but
I found something on the internet I'd like to recommand to you guys as background reading:

http://www.usask.ca/...eory/theory.htm

Some of the "theories" may seems aparent or trivial, but definately fundermental knowledge of interactive design. One thing I wouldn't encourage though is to follow these theories as "rules of design", designers have responsibilities beyond applying theories and rules, keep experimenting, have fun!
N D E S I G
G N D E S I
I G N D E S
S I G N D E
E S I G N D
D E S I G N

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users