• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 lemieuxster

lemieuxster

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:35 AM

So, I got tired of my university's web site and decided to redesign it. Unfortunately I am not in a position to make any real changes, but I want a critique of how I did.

Here is the original (current): http://www.byui.edu

and here is my redesign (in jpg): http://www.lemieuxster.com/byui/8.jpg

For some background, the things that I disliked the most were the search, the having to click to go the the log-in page, and the lack of any other useful information. (Take, for example, the little even scroller under the picture. Hard to read and very easy to miss.)

Now, I realize that they have a very varied audience to deal with. Anyone from alumni, to press, and new students who know nothing about the school. That said, I still think that it needs some sprucing up.

If you think I am wrong, let me know. I just want to get better at design and user interface.

Thanks,
lemieuxster
» lemieuxster , wasting time collecting stamps.

#2 ghostshadow

ghostshadow

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 04:24 AM

I really like the way it looks so far!

#3 karansinh

karansinh

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:18 AM

The design is good but some points to be noted.

1. What is this university about ? by seeing the homepage i am not able to figure it out.
2. You should provide some details regarding the university and the courses or related to it on the homepage.
3. Is SEARCH section going to be live ?

#4 INFIN8

INFIN8

• Designer
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:30 PM

Looks great!

I see you went for a clean, flat design and you did a great job of accomplishing that.

I agree with some of the other posts that it needs a little something...maybe some gradients to set the main section off from the flat background...and maybe some icons for the headers...and maybe rearranging some of the content

...i took a stab...check it out

Posted Image

#5 apresico

apresico

Guru

• Designer
  • 1210 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 06:32 PM

I like it, but may I give a suggestion? For some reason the faded colors to the side (the background I believe) doesn't look right to me. If you cropped those out and made it right to the edge of the picture so that everything is straight, I think it would look really nice. I tested it out for you in photoshop and I think it makes it look more professional. Maybe use a light grey like #eeeeee for the background. Great job! :)

#6 lemieuxster

lemieuxster

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:35 PM

Hey, that looks awesome INFIN8! Sorry its taken so long to reply, I have been busy. Thanks for the pointers everyone.
» lemieuxster , wasting time collecting stamps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users