• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 07:01 AM

Everytime I see a contest for less then a $40-50 prize it sickens me. The last one for $15 t-shirt design made us rethink our approach.....

As you see now we posted a $50 min for logo/website design. We did this so clients won't have as easy time taking advantage of your talents. All clients who can't afford this are moved to the low priz / non profit forum. (we are not going to move any contests that already are under way)

I am thinking of making a price guideline for contests... If customers don't know how much to offer, they will usually offer the least amount possible.

Please tell me good minimums to state.... or any of your view points about minimums for prizes.

Logos, min $50 for corporate type logos, $100-$150 if the logo requires large/complicated illustration or a character/mascot design.

Website templates $50 for psd only, $75 if it requires coding for html

Any suggestions?

#2 logotect

logotect

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:30 PM

I think $50 is still too low. Maybe $75 should be the minimum.

• Guests

Posted 07 January 2004 - 09:41 PM

I think we should consider rising the minimum to $75 in 1-2 months, but for now, I think $50 is enough.

#4 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 10:04 PM

once the site goes all guaranteed, the minimum should be at least $100+ for everything. Until then $50 sounds good to me.

Of course there should be exceptions.. because not everything is worth that much money. Some people might just want a simple logo that really doesnt take much thought or work at all, and others might just want a basic layout that they can finish themselves.
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#5 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 January 2004 - 11:45 PM

penguinpedia, that's why I though about spliting it up as $50 for those "easier" corporate logo designs, and more money for designs that require a lot more work.

Current example, the witchcraft logo, is quite complex and takes much longer to make an entry, and maybe it should of been about $125 or so...

The CE sticker logo is at $50 and that is fine for what they are looking for.

I basically just want a guideline so new clients know how much they need to spend to get a good logo.

#6 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 09:48 PM

Well I'll tell you what... I do more cheap logo designs here than anywhere else. Obviously I want to do it or else I wouldn't. Besides man I'll tell you what this has boosted my clientel almost 100x what it was. For logo design I think that $50-60 min. if it's not going on a lot of multiple mediums. But I think if it's a logo that is gonna end up being on stationary, business cards, etc. I think $100 is more than fair because even though they aren't asking you to create all that you are basically making their image.

As for webdesign... I think $50 for a template is fair, but not for the complete thing. I think for a complete site coded, min. $100-125. That's for basic html, and non-complex flash. And for a full hi-graphic site, with lots goin' on, with DB and all that jazz $160-200 is more than fair. Esp, if they want full character animations and what not. I don't think they understand how long and how much effort goes into it.

No more of the crap where they ask for a logo and website for $50, that's crap.

Anyway, that's my input...

www.beyondthepixel.com - a multimedia affair
··························································
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
-Leonardo da Vinci

#7 Xerxes

Xerxes

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 10:07 PM

A guideline for the contest holder is a wonderful idea!

Unfortunatly, it could also lead to them posting a smaller prize. For example: They were going to post a $300 prize for a logo, but then they see that the minimum price on the guideline is $100, so they only give $100.

Overall, I believe this is a good strategy though as long as the prizes are fair. A note should be placed on the very begining of the guideline that states something like "Generally if the prize is larger, then more logos will submitted and more talented designers will partipate". Not sure. Something along those lines.. you get the idea right? You could even show examples of high price/high quality contests compared to low price/low quality contests. In fact, I think that will encourage the contest holder to raise the prices.

Also, there needs to be a way that the contest holder must see this guideline before posting a contest. So maybe, when the user hits the new thread button, it can display it before they even start submitting the post. Or, maybe you could even put it in the "new thread" form for when they are writing out the contest.

Here are some ideas I had for the pricing:

for right now, $50 is alright. Like I said before, we need people to come to the site.

Webdesign:

Simple: $50+ psd :: $75+ coded
Normal: $150+ psd :: $200+ coded
Complex: $250+ psd :: $325+ coded

Simple - minimal average graphics, not content heavy
Normal - decent about of graphics with average amount of content. Basically still using the same images for each page (template)
Complex - May include flash animation, heavy content, and different images for different sections of the site.

Logos:

Normal: $50+
Complex: $150+

Normal - average logos you see everyday. 1-3 colors. Nike symbol, text logos, etc...
Complex - character creation, high color, 3D.

Flash:

Simple animation: $75+
Header: $150+
Animation: $200+
Intro: $200+
Full site: $400+

We could also even ad a graphic design section. Anyway, these are just my thoughts. I hadn't really looked into prices for these all that much, so these minimums might be a little off. Either way though, the contest holder is getting a bargain.

Because, for example that full flash site would be a minimum of $1000 anywhere else, and they are not getting just one design, but several. And that goes for all of the sections.

The holder needs to know that the higher the prize, the higher quality the product will be though. That is the main point.
Patrick Johnson
Portfolio
Company

#8 vidiotscreative

vidiotscreative

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 February 2004 - 11:49 PM

I expected to see contests of at least $150 for an HTML template; I was kind of shocked to see $50 as the recommended fee.

I understand that this site is new? If so, then I understand the low numbers but as I saw someone else mention; a client may come here and be willing to spend $400 for a template, then see someone getting the same work they want for $50-75.

Just a thought. Maybe not publically let the contest amounts be seen, then it is up to the contest holder to come up with their own pricing based on what they think the industry or the designers deserve.

Just a few thoughts.
---------------
Interactive Designer
www.placidminds.com

#9 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 01:50 AM

That's a very good point you make vidio. And I would say that should be taken off and when someone makes a post about a contest if their prize doesn't meet what they are asking then an admin talks to them about the miniumum of what they should be asking. Know what I'm sayin?

-Leonardo da Vinci

#10 vidiotscreative

vidiotscreative

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:27 AM

Originally posted by simplistik
That's a very good point you make vidio. And I would say that should be taken off and when someone makes a post about a contest if their prize doesn't meet what they are asking then an admin talks to them about the miniumum of what they should be asking. Know what I'm sayin?

I think it eliminates any chance of prices being set by previous contests (which ends up burning everyone except the contest holder).

I mean, realistically a $50 or $100 contest for design and HTML amounts to a very low hourly wage. Not complaining, cause I wouldn't enter contests that low, but trying to give some constructive feedback in regards to pricing guidelines and how it may benefit the site being able to move forward with higher and more realistic/deserving rates.

The old saying, however cliche is quite true when it comes to any goods or services, "You get what you pay for." The more money which is offered will bring in much higher quality designs, which in the end enables the client to create a more powerful and unique online presence for their company.

Just some straw to chew on.

:)
---------------
Interactive Designer
www.placidminds.com

• Guests

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:57 AM

I have removed $50 minimum from the forums' description. However contests with prize lower than that will be moved to non-profit section.

Any other ideas about how we can bring more contests with hiher prizes?

#12 vidiotscreative

vidiotscreative

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 03:32 AM

Originally posted by resurepus
I have removed $50 minimum from the forums' description. However contests with prize lower than that will be moved to non-profit section.

Any other ideas about how we can bring more contests with hiher prizes?

Have you thought about maybe having a page which can get picked up by search engine bots so people don't have to read through or find how to open contests and maybe outline what normal fee's run? A message forum/community I think can be overwhelming for the kinds of people who want to have web work done for them; if you simplified it by presenting the key aspects in HTML format it might create more interest, as well as enabling the site to be found better on search engines? I dunno.

From my experience, if you lead people to the prices they will usually follow. I mean, even if you had something which stated $150 or $200 for a complete design in PSD format or something along those lines, it is still a fraction of actual real world costs and really can't be argued with ya know? It's not like they can say, well I am going to go someplace else to have this work done.

The only other place you can go is to purchase a design which anyone else could have as well; here or on sites like this you get a unique and creative experience for your site and its users. That is alone is worth more than $50, $100 or even $150.
---------------
Interactive Designer
www.placidminds.com

#13 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 12:51 AM

It's good to see that they prize minimum thing is off. It's still a small step though. I say that because when someone opens a contest they are gonna check the other contest being posted and figure out what the previous contest holders asked for a design, and follow. Although I have no suggestion for this I just thought I'd mention it. Either way I can't wait to see things boomin' here. I haven't competed that much cause of lack of time. But hopefully when things slow down for me Q2 of this year things here will be hot.

BTW, do you guys keep turning the IMG tag option off and on? I notice that it's randomly on some days and others it's off.

-Leonardo da Vinci

#14 vidiotscreative

vidiotscreative

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 February 2004 - 12:58 AM

The best way to make sure that doesn't happen is to create a forum that only the design team can view; you then remove the pricetag from the contest and place a category within the designers only forum which is for "new contests" and it can list specs and the pricing information for the contest.

That way we all know how much it is for, and it doesn't create price gouging or set prices for the forum or a standard price for each contest.

I forgot to mention that when I posted my previous suggestion; thanks for bringing that up.

;)
---------------
Interactive Designer
www.placidminds.com

#15 Maverik60

Maverik60

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 11:11 PM

well. I see that ppl have logo contests for 500... who the hell pays 500 for a logo/?

a full site can come up to 500 including a logo. anyway :\ do most of the prizes get collected?

• Guests

Posted 14 February 2004 - 09:18 AM

I my opinoin $500 is a decent price for a logo. Just the right price to attract real professionals. As for the prizes being collected, we keep track only of contests guaranteed by DC and yes, they are paid.

#17 kingdomx

kingdomx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 12:02 AM

1. i think the minimums are not good, let people work for what they want to work for. also, i have a LOT of work to be done and cant afford a lot!

2. also, and this REALLY gets me, i have good trades and feel as if they should go into the guaranteed area because they are guaranteed. some ppl here may find 300 in hosting to be more valuable than 50.00 cash. "good" hosting is NOT "cheap" or no pay.

3. i think instrutcions here should be a lot moer clear. i keep getting all my posts moved around.

4. thanks, i like this place. dont smack me too hard if i become annoying
www.HostLookUp.info
free advertising for hosting companies!
no unlimited hosts please!
coming soon... hosting and design jobs!

#18 kingdomx

kingdomx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Maverik60
well. I see that ppl have logo contests for 500... who the hell pays 500 for a logo/?

a full site can come up to 500 including a logo. anyway :\ do most of the prizes get collected?

who pays 500.00 for a logo??? well, before coming here, i called some local comapnies and was quoted 2-6 THOUSAND dollars. of course there is a lot of work and thought put into those and it can take weeks to fully conceptualize a good logo, but am i going to pay that? ummm, i dont think so....

#19 vidiotscreative

vidiotscreative

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 12:23 AM

Originally posted by kingdomx
who pays 500.00 for a logo??? well, before coming here, i called some local comapnies and was quoted 2-6 THOUSAND dollars. of course there is a lot of work and thought put into those and it can take weeks to fully conceptualize a good logo, but am i going to pay that? ummm, i dont think so....

You get what you pay for, especially in this business.

If you are willing to pay someone a very low amount of money for something, then you are facing the risk of a very low quality product.

It's as simple as that; as with any goods/services.
---------------
Interactive Designer
www.placidminds.com

#20 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 February 2004 - 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Maverik60

Hmm.... well, outside of here I easily charge 500 for a logo. When you get out and around serious companies are willing to pay that amount of cash for their logo. And not so serious companies won't. As vidio said... you get what you pay for. If you're goin' to a small po-dunk business you can't really expect to get much out of them, but 500 dollars from a business is like takin' candy from a baby, about 90% of the time. But you should never sell yourself short. Always bid high. Then negotiate from that.

-Leonardo da Vinci

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users