• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 12:53 AM

I am beginning to agree with the "Cleric". I have this feeling that there are a lot of little big shots sitting up on "Park Avenue" that pit us at each other. Some of them steal the ideas and don't even pay(I have a feeling most of those that don't pay are offshore), and others pay a piddling little 50-100.00 for an idea that they live on for the rest of the year.

Anyone want to chime in here.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#2 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:16 AM

I completely agree with you, and have not really entered any new contests that werent guranteed. I can tell when someone isn't going to pay.. just by the way they post their messages, etc.

This is just another reason to have guranteed contests only, which in the future will have minimum prize amounts.

This also comes back to the DC team which you were against. Once that is fully in place, only quality designs will be presented.. thus increasing the amount of money the contest holder will want to put up.

My two cents ;)
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#3 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:00 AM

That's not going to fix it Penguin. If there are those type taking advantage of those of us without steady work at the moment, they will. And a Guarranteed contest for 50.00 for a design that they turn around and sell for a whole lot more is poor consolation.
Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste".

#4 Onvx

Onvx

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:53 AM

Again complaining without any solutions, lol I think Dean Howard needs a running mate.

#5 JTWedding

JTWedding

Banned

• Banned
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:17 AM

Even some of the guaranteed contests are ridiculously priced. Like that real estate on is going for what? 100$? The realtor is probably making an easy mil out of the deal and he's just willing to pay 100$ for website? I'd say the best solution is making a minimum amount. A full website should never go for 45-100$ If they want that cheap of a site they can buy a template. People really need to understand that what they are doing is worth much more then they are taking.

#6 EliteProxy

EliteProxy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:39 AM

I think dc should put in a script so people can't right click nore select and past from the pages. I know its a hastle but its worth it and people can take down their desing if they chose and only the person who posted the thread can see it. Or the person can have the option of public or pirvet design. I know that will cut down on alot. but people will be making alot more desings and not being affraid that someone wll steal their desing also put in the script that when print screen is pressed the image comes out dark. just a though

#7 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:53 AM

LoL, I always have something to say.

I think you're all missing the BIG picture here. Regaurdless of what ppl are paying here, any design you do increases your portfolio. You complain about the ppl that don't pay out and steal the designs, you feel that all that work was for nothing. How do you feel when you don't win a contest? Everyone here is sooo worried about the pay. If you wanna get ahead you've gotta make sacrifices, and take risks. Not entering a contest that isn't gauranteed is just silly. When you've established yourself as a dependable, well known designer then you can set your own prices, instead of ppl setting them for you, like these contests do.
If you don't like the prices and you don't compete why complain?

I have mad love for DC.net. All it's done for me is generate MAD clientel, and a nice extra income weekly. And I give all the glory to God, for my talent... and I'm glad I am able to use it in a way that I'm sure pleases Him!

Anyway, just rambling now. Peace.

www.beyondthepixel.com - a multimedia affair
··························································
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
-Leonardo da Vinci

#8 Neupix

Neupix

Design Team Member

• Designer
  • 1146 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 05:07 AM

Simplistik: I am happy for you :) You are absolutely right with everything you say.. but I also have to say that I haven't generated any clients or income from DC.net as of yet. Maybe my work isn't as good as I think it is.. or people just aren't seeing it *shrugs* That doesn't bother me though, its just my hobby not my profession.

EliteProxy: I love your idea, you should post it in the DC.net Building forum :)

JTWedding & Phacker: Ya.. the prices are low, but what do you want? Many of us are not professionals, and if these contest holders really wanted to take the money to hire a professional they would do it. You get what you pay for.

Maybe this is bad on my part, but for $50 they would only get the raw HTML template and PSD files. No, support, or anything else from me. It would be up to them to do the rest, and if they wanted more they could hire me to do so.

phew.. long post of mine. I sound like a contest holder naming everybody out.. but oh well :p

Lets not turn this topic into a fight everyone, lets make it a discussion of designers ;)
Neupix Media | Nip Napp! < iPhone App Reviews and News | Citrik Acid

#9 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:06 PM

Simplistik how come your tech street logo is sitting over at RentaCoder waiting for someone to animate it?

#10 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:24 PM

Because when they asked me to animate it, I was in the process for leaving on vaction for 2wks. And I told them I couldn't do it for another week after I got back because I would have to play catch up at Reebok. However, I refered them to DDD to animate it cause they didn't want to wait till I got back. They contacted him once and haven't contacted him since. Anyway, give me the link so I can talk to them. Thanx.

-Leonardo da Vinci

#11 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:26 PM

Yeah sure!

#12 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:31 PM

Maybe you want me to animate for you for free. Why don't you run your little Reeboks over there and find it for yourself.

#13 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:38 PM

2 things.

I assume you say "Yeah sure!" as in you're doubting the validity of what I just said. How dare you even try to begin to question my integrity. If you have any doubts how about you ask the Onvx as well as DDD. What I say is 100% legit. The animation was NEVER part of the job, and it's not my fault that they didn't want to wait for me to come back from my vacation. I also provided them with all Illustrator files, PS files at their request.

Run my little Reeboks over there my self and find out. Well seeing as how I've never been on that site and just signed up I don't know where I'm supposed to be looking for it. It would've just been easier for you to just link me instead of me trying to navigate through all those contests.

So b4 you go and try to accuse someone of copying an image how about you figure out what all the facts were b4 hand. Don't ever try to compensate my authenticity because you will never come out on top.

-Leonardo da Vinci

#14 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:43 PM

I never accused you of copying anything...but you come in here saying you're a hot shot designer for "reebok". Do things for your self. I am tired of doing things for free. You have so many "MAD" clientel.

#15 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:46 PM

I never asked you do the design. Never once asked you nor would I. But like I said the deal was done and DDD took it over not because I'm not capible but because they wanted it done quicker than I was able to do it because I was on vacation.

And another thing, how bout you stop hatin' on me. It's not my fault I was employed at Reebok, nor is it my fault when I say that DC.net has done good by me. I was just pointed out the potential of the site to the ppl that were gettin' down about the contests.

I also never said I was a hot shot. I've never once said anything about your designs or your abilities as a designer.

-Leonardo da Vinci

#16 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:49 PM

I never said you ask me to do the design but you did ask for a link.

How about you find your own links.

#17 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:56 PM

Because I'm surfing through this website and it has so many links for me to browse through I just thought it'd be more efficent for you to just give me the link.

But hey man if you want to keep hatin' on me and be shady it's all good. I'm not gonna let you bring me down. I'll find it myself if you don't want to help. Thanks for letting me know about it though, and I'll resolve it myself.

-Leonardo da Vinci

#18 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:59 PM

I don't hate you. I don't even know you. But you come off as this big professional type and you can't even find a proposal to animate your own logo.

#19 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:02 PM

Hmm... lets see that's because I've never been to this site. And I was never informed that it was going up there, because after my part was done it was passed on and out of my hands. But like I said it would've been quicker that's all.

-Leonardo da Vinci

#20 phacker

phacker

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 310 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:04 PM

I hope you get it worked out Simplistik. I didn't bid on it, because I saw your work here and knew it was yours. I couldn't understand why you didn't animate it to begin with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users