• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Tanya1729

Tanya1729

• Designer
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

I have found that its a problem when my friends or family
Members need a business card or logo they will come to me with the expectation of free work. I have done a few things for free just to help out but I need to make money too. Maybe they don't realize how much work and time goes into something that they would like me to make. Everyone sort of expects free designs!! I came across this problem today I almost don't even know how to ask for money for it I get nervous and feel guilty or they look at me like "your kidding right "

This is becoming a problem. Anyone else deal with this??

#2 ohi

ohi

• Designer
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

I'm saying that I do not have time, I'm busy with orders.
If they want I can do it for the money.
[center]my portoflio http://bob-project.deviantart.com[/cneter]

#3 vibrasphere

vibrasphere

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

Yeah pretty much same like ohi. I AM A LIAR ;] I had same problem years ago when I used to fix computers for various reasons, hardware and software. Everyone just kept asking to fix that or fix this. Back then I was still a kid so it was like doing it for fun and money didn't really matter that much. But today when you have to pay bills and everything I even charge my girlfriend if needed.

#4 InspireIT

InspireIT

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

It's good practise for a certain amount of work to be part of your portfolio especially when starting out or trying to build a business, I do some designs for next to nothing, covering minimal costs, such as a menu design for a busy restaurant, placing a link to my website on this type of thing brings in business, the busier you get the more you can charge, but don't forget the people that got you the work ;) it's all about give and take, not always about the money either, not to me, a well spoke about business is far important to me than a business that earns lots of money, my reputation since joining DC and giving out almost freebies is paying off.

You can always use printing companies to your advantage such as I do myself, I design the stuff for free but getting in with a local printers who can do the job at a low cost because of the volume of work I put through his company, this way I can make a small amount from the printing side for so called 'free' jobs to my friends, I tell them I can do it at cost, whereas making a few bucks from the printing side is always keeping the smile on every ones faces :)

#5 InspireIT

InspireIT

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

It's good practise for a certain amount of work to be part of your portfolio especially when starting out or trying to build a business, I do some designs for next to nothing, covering minimal costs, such as a menu design for a busy restaurant, placing a link to my website on this type of thing brings in business, the busier you get the more you can charge, but don't forget the people that got you the work ;) it's all about give and take, not always about the money either, not to me, a well spoke about business is far important to me than a business that earns lots of money, my reputation since joining DC and giving out almost freebies is paying off.

You can always use printing companies to your advantage such as I do myself, I design the stuff for free but getting in with a local printers who can do the job at a low cost because of the volume of work I put through his company, this way I can make a small amount from the printing side for so called 'free' jobs to my friends, I tell them I can do it at cost, whereas making a few bucks from the printing side is always keeping the smile on every ones faces :)

#6 nvillegas

nvillegas

• Designer
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

There's no problem for me if i'm doing it for a family or a friend. But it always depends on the amount of work and time that you're going to put in that work. If it's a website, then I'll be expecting something in return.=)

#7 3187mohit

3187mohit

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

talk before you start,
Be ready with the fee chart, So that you can figure out the exact charge for the required work.
Or when you meet for any discussion, bring it up after they are finished discussing.

#8 PinkCherryGD

PinkCherryGD

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:20 PM

I don't mind doing "small" designs for friends and family, depending on how much time i have.
I have had a few request for website design, but for this i tell them they have to pay me... usually then they don't really need it anymore... haha

#9 Hanami

Hanami

• Designer
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Generally, during the early stages of one's career, doing free work to relatives and friends in order to build a portfolio is a good idea. When that stage is over though, free work is the worst time consuming, nerve cracking experience. Instead of lying (which works), asking for exchange of work does it too (you could end up with a free car wash, food, beverages, tickets and much more). Whenever I have a light schedule, I usually don't mind trading free works ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users