documentary helvetica typography

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Danniiel

Danniiel

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:40 AM

Hello designers ^^! In this post I will share with you information on a great and inspiring film I saw some time ago; that's right! "Helvetica" the documentary *-*!

Attached File  cast.poster.detail.jpg   108.66KB   181 downloads

About the film:

Helvetica is a feature-length independent film about typography, graphic design and global visual culture. It looks at the proliferation of one typeface (which celebrated its 50th birthday in 2007) as part of a larger conversation about the way type affects our lives. The film is an exploration of urban spaces in major cities and the type that inhabits them, and a fluid discussion with renowned designers about their work, the creative process, and the choices and aesthetics behind their use of type.

Helvetica encompasses the worlds of design, advertising, psychology, and communication, and invites us to take a second look at the thousands of words we see every day. The film was shot in high-definition on location in the United States, England, the Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, France and Belgium.

Interviewees in Helvetica include some of the most illustrious and innovative names in the design world, including Erik Spiekermann, Matthew Carter, Massimo Vignelli, Wim Crouwel, Hermann Zapf, Neville Brody, Stefan Sagmeister, Michael Bierut, David Carson, Paula Scher, Jonathan Hoefler, Tobias Frere-Jones, Experimental Jetset, Michael C. Place, Norm, Alfred Hoffmann, Mike Parker, Bruno Steinert, Otmar Hoefer, Leslie Savan, Rick Poynor, and Lars Müller.

Helvetica had its World Premiere at the South by Southwest Film Festival in March 2007. The film subsequently toured film festivals, special events, and art house cinemas worldwide, playing in over 300 cities in 40 countries. It received its television premiere on BBC1 in November 2007, and will be broadcast on PBS as part of the Emmy award-winning series Independent Lens in fall 2008. The film was nominated for a 2008 Independent Spirit Award in the "Truer Than Fiction" category, and was shortlisted for the Design Museum London's "Designs of the Year" Award. An excerpt of the film was included in an exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

More on the documentary site, HERE

I personally enojed it & I also recommend it to anyone interested in learning from the most experienced typographers and designers from the past & presnt ^^

Edited by Danniiel, 29 March 2013 - 04:44 AM.

#2 WebStar

WebStar

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

Nice font. Thank u

#3 sach

sach

• Designer
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Really nice font. I love that

#4 Smiridon

Smiridon

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

Nice!

#5 Guest_ika1949_*

Guest_ika1949_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

Helvetica will never be out of use. It is a font that is. I have never had a bad experience when I've used this font.
Easily be transformed or deformed, it can be seen clearly from a distance and reading reduced to 2 mm.
Nice of you to come up with this topic ...

#6 DenzelH

DenzelH

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:15 AM

The film was amazing, it really opens your eyes to of almost overused this typeface is. I watched it a while back, then again in my typography class.

#7 ammari

ammari

Banned

• Banned
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Nice font

#8 Flyin

Flyin

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

Helvetica has always been my best.

#9 maulana

maulana

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

nice font.

#10 maulana

maulana

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

thanks for your info..

#11 Jobzz

Jobzz

• Designer
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

WOW, I don't know there was a documentary. :eek:

#12 DesignByLenny

DesignByLenny

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

I also enjoyed the documentary :)

#13 DesignByLenny

DesignByLenny

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

... and I like this font!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: documentary, helvetica, typography

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users