Free Fonts that say for personal use only

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 OrangeWhip

OrangeWhip

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

I came across a free font that says for personal use only. Wondering if it can still be used in logo and design creation?

#2 Meow

Meow

• Designer
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

I guess but you could face some consequences if you used them commercially. For free for commercial use fonts, I go to Handpicked free fonts for graphic designers with commercial-use licenses. | Font Squirrel.

#3 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

My advice, use the best fonts even if they're not free .
if you win with it, then reward the font maker and pay for the font.
Font is big part of a successful logo, so don't give up on font just because they' re not free.
Also lots of font maker use the donationware and they are usually very please when people use their font and donate, just as us with our logos!

And no you can't use it for logo if it' s for personal use only.

#4 HAZZ

HAZZ

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

you can also try this dafont.com

#5 OrangeWhip

OrangeWhip

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:02 PM

Thanks for the commercial use links. I just don't understand, if I have already downloaded a personal use only font, how would someone know if I paid for it or downloaded it for free!? If I paid for it I can use it but if I got it for free I can't. hum.

#6 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:59 PM

well, first there's a lot of excellent free font website : dafont, fontsquirrel, fontspace ...

how would someone know if I paid for it or downloaded it for free!? If I paid for it I can use it but if I got it for free I can't. hum.

No one will know ;-) but usually fontmaker let people download their font for personal use and hope that if it's for commercial use you'll respect the licence. After that it's between you and your conscience ^_^;

#7 OrangeWhip

OrangeWhip

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Yes, good point Cobalt. I would prefer a clean conscience!

#8 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:01 AM

good choice !!! :-)

one last tip : when you find a font you like, you can search with keywords like "similar free front to xxx" , you'll often find some good result.

I used a couple of times fonts who required donations, it cost me around 30$ (10% of winning prize). I think it's definitely acceptable, I mean they work for it. Somewhere in the forum, you can find an excellent tutorial from morabira to create your own font, and this is not that easy !!!

#9 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

good choice !!! :-)

one last tip : when you find a font you like, you can search with keywords like "similar free front to xxx" , you'll often find some good result.

I used a couple of times fonts who required donations, it cost me around 30$ (10% of winning prize). I think it's definitely acceptable, I mean they work for it. Somewhere in the forum, you can find an excellent tutorial from morabira to create your own font, and this is not that easy !!!

I think it would be better if you let the CH purchase the font instead of you buying it. In most end-user agreements that deal with commercially used fonts, you are actually not allowed to just "give" your fonts to someone else

#10 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

I think it would be better if you let the CH purchase the font instead of you buying it. In most end-user agreements that deal with commercially used fonts, you are actually not allowed to just "give" your fonts to someone else

you're right although, I always thought there was something different/confusing with logo design, because technically you're not giving any font, they can't use it to write for example, it's only a logo design using an outlined font ....

#11 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

you're right although, I always thought there was something different/confusing with logo design, because technically you're not giving any font, they can't use it to write for example, it's only a logo design using an outlined font ....

Yeah with logo design it gets tricky. If the font is outlined then it should be ok since the CH wouldn't actually have the font itself installed. But I guess it's still a good idea for them to purchase it for future branding purposes. Every scenario is a little different :)

Either way I'm not too concerned myself... there's alot of great commercially-free fonts out there so it's not a big deal

Edited by HappyGD, 11 June 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#12 zylax

zylax

• Designer
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

This is a good site to find fonts: Handpicked free fonts for graphic designers with commercial-use licenses. | Font Squirrel

All the fonts they have there are free for commercial use.

#13 landrum75

landrum75

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

This is a great link, thanks for sharing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users