Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Have you ever wondered "will I ever win a contest"?

3d tutorial adobe illustrator logo logo design tutorials

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 zylax

zylax

• Designer
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:52 AM

What would be some advice from those with more experience here to win a contest?

Is there someone that has never won one?

Is it possible that if someone never wins it is because they just aren't good at all.

Don't mean to be dramatic and/or whine, just want to hear opinions about this matter from you all.

#2 friendnand

friendnand

• Designer
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

hi there zylax,
i had like hundreds of entries before i won the first gold.
at those hundreds i was thinking i'm winning.

#3 VladTodirut

VladTodirut

• Designer
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hello Zylax,
of course you need a lot of practice and knowhow about design if you constantly want to win.
There are a lot of people that never won a contest, mainly because competition is tough ( especially for logo design ), but other factors come into play too, like did you understood what the client is looking for, are you designing with the specific style in mind ( every business has a specific style, lawyers logo look alike, radio station logos also are similar and so on) are you doing your research before you start working, and a lot more to go.

But before all that you need to have a decent set of skills and understanding of design ( so read as much as you can about design in general )

You don't have to be a pro to win, my first winning logo was this one http://www.hatchwise...01215042302.jpg , ( now if i was to redo the logo i would never do it like that ), point being, you can win a contest even if your new to the game, it just takes the right client.

You can maybe start by reading some other threads around the forum, plenty about how to design and stuff ( here is one of my own about logo http://www.designcon...ation-tips.html )

Good luck and don't give up :)

#4 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:55 AM

Great advice from Vlad.

To win is very very tough. There are hundreds of Designers here that can easily knock you off the top so never feel contented and NEVER expect to win.

You need to design something that really nails the brief and make it hard for other designers to meet the clients needs better. I see a lot of designs that I think are good ideas but rushed or badly executed...(mine included) sometimes spending some extra thinking time and putting in a bit of extra effort pays dividends.

You also need to compare your designs to what is already on offer - if they don't offer something different and do not match the quality of what is already on offer you're unlikely to win.

Some advice specifically for you Zylax - Eximius gave you some excellent tips on how to improve your designs in another thread - I would stick to following that advice and study hard, design is a discipline and the more successful designers will have studied for years to get where they are now, It takes hard work and perseverance. Believe in yourself and keep at it!

#5 egscoglio

egscoglio

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:40 PM

I agree... I entered alot of contests. I thought I NEVER will win because there were so many entries but once you didn't think about it and do your thing, you may be surprised. Just be patient and time will tell.

#6 Zibanu

Zibanu

• Designer
  • 282 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

I think you have to ask your self: why you wouldn't?
a big factor is to come close to the CH mode. I got rated higher than designs I thought I can compete!

#7 asanasa

asanasa

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

I ask myself - why I don't win? And I think, it is a big truth - to get a "mode" of Contest Holder. And get a some luck sometimes...

#8 asanasa

asanasa

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

Sometimes I think I never win here. But my motto "never give up" will help me on distance.

#9 FMdesigns

FMdesigns

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

at least if you aren't winning anything, designing new things on a frequent basis is winning in my book

#10 heavenlogo

heavenlogo

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

I think contest winner isn't always a good designer, and the one who never win isn't a bad designer. IMHO, it's just the right designer for the right client at a right time.

#11 masterlogo

masterlogo

Banned

• Banned
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

yes.. thats true

#12 jafrif

jafrif

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:17 AM

nice ideas and tips.Although I have got winning in other contest's websites. I am new here and thriving to get a win here. It's the competition which makes you learn more and more. Wish you good luck here, practice makes a man perfect.

#13 PASTEXPIRYcom

PASTEXPIRYcom

• Designer
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

I think part of the reason someone might feel that they will never win is largely due to the contest holders themselves. It is quite disheartening spending HOURS on a design and then having it not given any points at all. The last 3 contests I entered the contest holder might of rated 10% of the 100+ entries, while the remaining 90% were unrated (at zero points). It would be very helpful to know whether I came in say 12th vs. 97th... at least that way I could see if I was making real progress over time. They'll never make contest holders rate every entry because they hold the money, but I think over the long term some potentially great designers will give up and leave.

#14 jafrif

jafrif

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

I agree with you PASTEXPIRYcom. Also wish to add one more issue with the contests that sometime contest holders liked my entries and then those contests just end without winner. This is my bad luck or what, it makes me very frustrated when I got in the position of dreaming about $300 and how I spend it.. all the things got vanished ;)

#15 jmaya

jmaya

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:10 AM

Hi zylax,

I think for most designers its a question we've asked ourselves at least at one point or another myself included. Before I won any contest I practiced for a year and I never gave up. I taught myself how to use illustrator and Photoshop from scratch by watching other tutorials and reading because I never went to school for graphic design. I majored in information technology in university so art is a hobby and a passion. Generally, i think at contest sites while skill is utmost important, passion should be your driving force. Never get discouraged. I quit my full time job back in august to pursue design. I don't have a clear plan just working online.... hoping i'll make rent for end month :D but really but i'm happier in art :) all the best. Keep designing!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3d tutorial, adobe illustrator, logo, logo design, tutorials

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users