How do i decide?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 faisalzid

faisalzid

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hello Designers. I am a newbie here and would like to know your thoughts about selecting a job. There are tons of design jobs all the time. How do you decide to submit your entry on a specific job. Do you prefer a job with funds guarantee?

#2 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Guaranteed contest are great and are a small factor in my decision but I decide based on which contests inspire me most. Some contests inspire me just by reading the title - I usually put extra effort into those and have more success.

Some contests are too easy and you know the contest holder will have a tough time choosing no matter how good your design is. I only enter these if they don't take much time investment. Hope that helps.

#3 AvramB

AvramB

• Designer
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Guaranted or not, it's no so important for me,
i am also relatively new and at first i would like to get more rating and expirience.
Because of that i would like to participate at contest as much as i can to improve my skills.

#4 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

I am with GJRdesign, I go with what inspires me. Sometimes I will go for a guaranteed contest but if my heart is not in it, I don't feel inspired. I hate Realty designs because they always tend to go for the same boring old rooftop thing.

These days I do not compromise my own style, if they don't like my certain style I don't do any more entries. I have a couple of winning designs that the CH has asked me to make so called minor changes to, and they no longer look good and I am ashamed to put my name to them... ! Colours affect my choice too, if I look at the colour palette and think it's awful... I won't enter, I cannot get inspired by awful colours. Dark blue and red are my bug bears!! Happy designing.

#5 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

I agree with that, I find Realty design contests boring too. I only look at those contests to help me fall to sleep!

#6 lizonil

lizonil

Guru

• Designer
  • 1720 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

lol... yes I must remember to do that next time insomnia hits!!

#7 Vennie0205

Vennie0205

• Designer
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

I enjoy playing a lot of different ideas for the ones that inspire me. So the one that inspires me would be my first choice. :)

#8 DenisBrz

DenisBrz

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Blind contests often affect my decision whether to submit a design or not. Personally Im not a fan of blind contests as I like to 1.see what I'm up against and 2. I've seen cases where contest holders comment saying "look at entry e.g.#54, can everyone use that color because I like it". It kinda allows collaboration between different designs

#9 serexzo

serexzo

• Designer
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

I agree with AVramB... Well, give in your best shot at all contest... One thing you must know is that as time goes on contest by contest and based on your participation you're gradually improving your skill and with time it would be rewarded the medal... :D;)

#10 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:48 PM

One thing you can also do is look at the CH's past contests (if they have any) to see how they participate/interact with other designers. Do they give ratings and feedback? Do they show favouritism towards certain designers? Do they answer questions? etc...

It just gives you a good idea of what to expect from the CH

#11 indreamo

indreamo

• Designer
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:09 AM

I agree that best contest choice is the one that brings you ideas at the beginning and you feel excited about starting designing and can't wait to see the result.

Some time ago I was paying attention if CH gives comments and feedback, but i don't do it anymore - the flow is most important for me. Sometimes they start rating entries after contest is closed:) Even if they won't, you have always one more design that you like to your portfolio + 100 points to your experience :)

PS. realty contests.... I agree 100%. If I were CH, I would never know which to choose, plenty of entries are usually good&proffesional... and similar at the same time.
I'm not the biggest fan of dental ones neither :)

#12 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

I agree that best contest choice is the one that brings you ideas at the beginning and you feel excited about starting designing and can't wait to see the result.

Some time ago I was paying attention if CH gives comments and feedback, but i don't do it anymore - the flow is most important for me. Sometimes they start rating entries after contest is closed:) Even if they won't, you have always one more design that you like to your portfolio + 100 points to your experience :)

PS. realty contests.... I agree 100%. If I were CH, I would never know which to choose, plenty of entries are usually good&proffesional... and similar at the same time.
I'm not the biggest fan of dental ones neither :)

For me it's just not worth my time if the CH doesn't want to equally give time back into the contest. Comments/feedback/ratings make for a better personal experience

#13 dansheva

dansheva

• Designer
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:58 AM

i just submit contest base on my passion...i just submit if brief needed simplicity design

thanks

#14 tetplus

tetplus

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

Find one that is guarantee and you believe you can win it too. Plus see if the CH is giving feedback other designers

#15 krishdesigns

krishdesigns

Banned

• Banned
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

Remember one thing whether it is guaranteed or not, if you have interest to do a design or something, but don't expect the income, fails is a opportunity for win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users