Reporting Designs

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 kristijp

kristijp

• Designer
  • 413 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

Something that I've noticed lately that's a bit of a hot button for designers on here is infractions for copying designs...

In a lot of cases "reporting" for an infraction can be so harsh. We're all creative types here, so it goes without saying, that sometimes two people will have the same idea (that can be seen when blind contests close and there are still some similar entries). Or someone on the site will have an idea that's already being used out there somewhere.

The goal is obviously to have unique and awesome designs for the CH so they keep coming back or spread the word. Sometimes I just wish there were a way to raise an issue of similarity without having to report it for an infraction. (Everyone seems to become quite offended by this)

Yes, it's our job to do our research and see what's out there or see what's already been presented in the contest. But sometimes people don't have time, or just miss something. I've reported designs that I didn't truly feel a "grudge" toward, but just felt it was something that should be discussed over. ---That's what the poll is for?

I just sometimes would like to address an issue of similarity without it being offensive. Without being able to directly message any individual designer it's sometimes hard to know what's happening.

Sorry for the novel of a post!

I might be missing something if there's already a place to do this, someone let me know!:)

*Just to clarify simply--- I personally believe there is a difference in blatant copying, and just similarity due to lack of research (via search engine or other contest entries). Both are still plagiarism in many cases but I just hate to report something I don't feel it was intentional, but still question the similarity.

Edited by kristijp, 04 April 2014 - 02:44 AM.

#2 Sanjaya Kunwar

Sanjaya Kunwar

• Designer
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

Hi kristijp, I also feel sometimes that there should be some provisions before taking actions for "Reporting". Eg. informing about the plagiarism in the design of the very designer, cause as you've stated, s/he might not know the similarities in the concepts and elements in the design; if it is unknowingly done so. May be "messaging the concerned designer" and clarifying can be the good option. But I don't think it can be done in DC. However, there should be another "button" in every design so that anyone can report about copying/similarities/plagiarism in the design with DC team first. To state it clearly, another button inform the DC team about infringement issues first and if the team found it right, they will talk/message to the concerned designer and also take action, otherwise the design will remain safe and the concerned designer can talk to the team for clarification. These all features are available in the recent DC too, like "Live Chat", "Talk with Moderators" etc. But my the idea of another button will be prompt and also extra burden for DC team cause there will be chance of pressing that button more than "report" button. Again, this can be discouraged by making the new way of reporting "live". Since it's community all the creatives will know who is doing what. I would like to share another idea which need a distinct place. For example, if i made a design in a hurry and found that has some similarities with others, i should have a place to honestly express my modesty and withdraw it. I know there is an option to withdraw it but i mean all the designers should know such modest behavior and it'll build good cultures. It is only my rough idea and sharing. Thanks.

#3 EcoDesigns

EcoDesigns

• Designer
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

If I may add my two bits here: Kristijp, you raise a very good point. I have myself struggled with this time and over and often fear if someone might take offense from the reporting. However, I think the mods here at DC do an awesome job in clarifying the difference between a blatant copy and a similar copy. From my experience, I have gathered that you cant 'claim a design as protected' if it is something the CH has requested or it is something that is too obvious to be used for a contest (this includes generic logos too). If it is a blatant copy it WILL definitely be removed, regardless of where it has been copied from.

#4 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

A quick review of these contests will show that many designers have, let us say, creative overlap.:)
färbe technik™ | Logo Design | DesignContest.com
Pipedot | Logo Design | DesignContest.com

#5 kristijp

kristijp

• Designer
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

For example, if i made a design in a hurry and found that has some similarities with others, i should have a place to honestly express my modesty and withdraw it. I know there is an option to withdraw it but i mean all the designers should know such modest behavior and it'll build good cultures. It is only my rough idea and sharing. Thanks.

I agree, especially with regards to this contest site, I sometimes find myself spending less time researching and more time with my first idea. Which I've learned can be fatal in regards to ending up with a less creative or unique design (even if at first I thought it was). Whether it be a limited time left on the contest and wanting to get an idea in, or just not enough spare time after a late night of work... I think it would be fair to somehow allow a designer to modestly remove a design if they themselves find it to be too similar to another.

#6 kristijp

kristijp

• Designer
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:52 AM

A quick review of these contests will show that many designers have, let us say, creative overlap.:)
färbe technik™ | Logo Design | DesignContest.com
Pipedot | Logo Design | DesignContest.com

That is definitely true. I've actually found myself having to re-read a brief five times over to make sure there's nothing so specific in it after viewing tons of similar contest entries. It's understandably difficult later in contests when it becomes clear a contest holder has taken a liking to a specific style or design type. I'm sure in our careers we're all guilty of an accidental overlap. As frustrating as it can sometimes be I'm beginning to think this site may actually be forcing me to become a more creative designer. There are some truly great designers here and it definitely forces one to step up their game. I much prefer a blind contest after all is said and done.

#7 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

Please refer this thread to GJR for comment.
Thanks

#8 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

If you want to remove a design after the 4 minutes withdraw option has elapsed then post a thread in chat with the mods and we will remove it without infraction.

As you rightly said Kristijp often the first idea is one that is not so unique. In blind contests you do sometimes see very similar designs and these designs are usually those which contain overused elements or are extremely obvious.

In open concepts there is no real excuse because you can check the entries before you submit a design. There have been many times when I have worked on a design and had to throw it away because someone has already done similar - It's frustrating but it fuels creativity.

Some contests end up like this pipedot one and it is because a designer submits an overused element and the CH favours this overused element. DC will advise the CH in this instance and if the CH doesn't change their mind then it continues. If a designer chooses to use such overused elements they are treated as a non-concept...obvious...overused! The advice to designers is don't use overused concepts.

Unique concepts and designs will be protected :)

Edited by GJR, 08 April 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#9 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:26 AM

On reporting - However you raise the problem of a copy the system will, by necessity, be fundamentally the same. The infraction system is necessary to remove persistent rule breakers, giving an extra chance before infraction is not necessary. Designers are already given many, many chances. Infractions expire. Infractions are given based on severity. The system works well. Remember also that it is very possible to avoid infraction completely, many do, simply stick to the rules!

Edited by GJR, 08 April 2014 - 10:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users