Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Error opening Adobe Illustrator file: embedded color profile??

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 luminos

luminos

• Client
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:04 PM

I got a .ai file back from my printing company and when I try and open it for editting, it gives an error:

"The embedded color profile in this document will be discarded, because your color settings are configured for adobe illustrator 6.0 compatible color management. web coated.

Embedded: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2"

If I press ok it will open the file as normal, but I don't want to make my changes and save over the file if this profile is going to be lost. How do I handle this so I don't "down-grade" what the printing department gave to me for editting? I'm using Illustrator CS.

#2 stevemark

stevemark

• Designer
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:10 AM

U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2 is the default CMYK profile for new installations of Adobe CSx applications. The printer is probably overriding the profile somewhere downstream in their work flow and didn't bother to change the default settings. I doubt they are actually using this "canned" profile.

I am Freelancer Website Designer and a developer with a zeal to deliver the best quality services to our clients.

#3 dianesardou

dianesardou

• Client
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 10:09 PM

Guide below will effective only in case your AI file is easily damaged, otherwise refer to topics below, which contain a lot various ways of solving your issue

http://windows.ittoo...r-files-5628071

http://www.instructa...or-file-needed/

https://www.openfile...com/aiopen.html  AI Open File Tool

1) Open the preferences file and look for the entry named "enableContentRecovery", change the value from 0 to 1. This turns on the feature.

2) Launch Illustrator and choose "File>Open". Select the file from which you wish to recover the roundtrip information.

3) Click "OK" while holding down the command, shift and option keys (control, shift and alt on Windows).

Following this procedure will result in a new empty document in Illustrator. This you should just close without saving. In addition the roundtrip information from the file is extracted to a new file in the same directory as the original. The new file is given the same name as the original preceded by an underscore character.

Once the roundtrip information has been extracted it can be viewed in an editor and any problems corrected. The corrected file can then be opened in Illustrator. Note that images in the file are saved as binary. Therefore the editor used to modify the file must be able to preserve binary data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users