#1 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qadw0BRKeMk
check this movie

This fascinating software program created by Dr. Ariel Shamir analyzes images by gradient magnitude and removes or adds irregular lines. Watch as images are reduced and expanded – not by scaling or cropping but by algorithmically removing “empty” space. Rocks slide over one another, objects are eclipsed by other elements, and proportions of each element are generally preserved.

The use of gradient magnitude to “block” meaningful areas of an image is fascinating – our brains already edit out a huge amount of what we see and this technology may be performing a similar function. Also interesting is the emphasis on the technology’s use for displaying images at various sizes and aspect ratios – to me, the ability to “shrink” information out of an image simply by resizing the frame is fascinating on a deeper level than simply to aid page layout. (Note that the title of the linked article refers to the removed material as “the useless”) And the implications for the integrity of photos we see on a day-to-day basis give me pause as well.
  • likes this

#2 Dalisca

Dalisca

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:03 PM

Oh, dude, that's really amazing. I had to watch this twice. Wow.

#3 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:53 PM

Simple, yet amazing!

#4 JNT86

JNT86

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:01 AM

hey guys, this site http://rsizr.com/ has a working demonstration of that algorythm, doesnt work quite as well as it looks in the video. still very interesting tho... maybe in a few years huh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users