&nsbp;

#1 ruxique

ruxique

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 04:00 PM

Hi,

I think many of us, or maybe some of us, designers here in Design Contest, may come to that question. What happens when you win a contest and the contest "holder" wants to pay only by PayPal. Because it would be lost to much time with other payment method?
Many of you would say "OK, make yourself an PayPal account".
Yes, but when in your country paypal is not available, then what?
It mean that, we people from countries where paypal is not available, should not participate at contests? I don't think that's fair. Do you?
Maybe we can find a solution to help those people.
Maybe DC can create a paypal account where this prizes to be paid by paypal by the contest holder, and then transfered to the winner by other payment method?
I don't know. It was just an ideea. Maybe you have ideas, too. Because that is a problem. And I am facing it right know, and, believe me, it's very frustrating.
Ruxique

MyWork

#2 JakSmit

JakSmit

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 04:20 PM

Maybe DC can create a paypal account where this prizes to be paid by paypal by the contest holder, and then transfered to the winner by other payment method?

Just ask them to pay onyx and he can pay you by cheque.

EDIT:
Onyx has left, ask who ever has taken over.
-- --- - -- ---- - -- ---- -- ---- --- - -- ---
My site: Freelance webdesign

#3 ruxique

ruxique

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:11 PM

I did what you said, JakSmit, but, unfortunately, it is not possible. The answer was no.
So, that's it.
Other ideas?...
Ruxique

MyWork

#4 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 07:27 PM

take a look into Kagi... http://www.kagi.com I've seen it in numerous places as an alternative to Paypal.

www.beyondthepixel.com - a multimedia affair
··························································
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
-Leonardo da Vinci

#5 ruxique

ruxique

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for trying to help, simplistik, but from what I've seen so far on Kagi, it is mostly for e-commerce support on safety transactions, not money transfer.
I don't know if it's helpfull on what I need.
Ruxique

MyWork

#6 simplistik

simplistik

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:53 PM

Maybe you can try Western Union? I dunno... just a thought.

www.beyondthepixel.com - a multimedia affair
··························································
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
-Leonardo da Vinci

#7 matrics

matrics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 02:50 PM

Salut, Ruxique,

I`ve been using shareit.com to accept credit cards for some time and I`m pleased with them so far. Sure, their rates are somewhat high, but they`re deffinitely lower than WU.

Another option would be www.2checkout.com . However, you need to pay a registration fee of 49$. Hmm, maybe I`ll pass over to them when I have the extra cash.

Vlad

#8 ruxique

ruxique

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 02:57 PM

Thanks, Matrics. I'll see if I can use something from there.

Hey, your name sounds very ... familliar :)
Ruxique

MyWork

#9 matrics

matrics

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:01 PM

Yes, well, it should.. I live in Oradea :)
...saw the "RO" in your profile...

#10 ruxique

ruxique

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 03:03 PM

I am from Bucharest, so, da-o pe romaneste, frate...! :)
Ruxique

MyWork

#11 belladonna

belladonna

Designer/Admin.

• Designer
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:08 PM

Hi Ruxandra =), here in Argentina we don´t have Paypal either, Onvx used to discount the money from his credit card and send it to me through Western Union, he was really cool =).

Now that Jenn is on charge she is doing a great job!, she told me she was thinking on opening a paypal account for DC and then transfer the money by an Online payment through WU, so you see, dont get sad =), moderators and administrators of DC are willing to help, so we will work it somehow. I´ll let you know when I know more about this =).

Take care
Bella
Julieta Garcia .:view my work:.
Stop animal abuse & killing --->HERE

• Guests

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:19 PM

Yes, we are working on enabling DC send the money through WU. And I am sure we'll be able to do this. There is however a lettle disadvantage of using WU. Actually you may already know about that - the comission they charge for money transfers is pretty high (about 10-15%) and it will be substracted from your prize. But it is still better than not to receive the prize at all.

Actually I am located in Russia myself and Paypal doesn't work with us either. So if I win a contest, I will have to deal with the same problem as anybody else who doesn't have pp.

#13 ruxique

ruxique

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:20 PM

Hi, Bella.
Thanks for your answer.
First I want to tell you that I admire a lot your designs, you are a great designer.
Second, I know that Jenn is now on charge with payments and I am very happy.
When I posted this thread, nobody was on charge with payments, Onvx was gone from here, and I found myself in a very ugly situation, because I couldn't get the money from a contest I won. The contest owner doesn't want to pay by Western Union. :confused:

But now everything it's ok, and I hope it will stay like that :)
Ruxique

MyWork

#14 ruxique

ruxique

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:42 PM

Thank you, too, resurepus.

I am very happy now since all contests are guaranteed. Because when they wheren't, you had to deal with contest holders alone, which was my situation at that moment. Especially when they don't want to use WU.That's why I was so unhappy. :)
Ruxique

MyWork

#15 jlinds72

jlinds72

Administrator/ Designer

• Designer
  • 1461 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:48 PM

Hi all :)

thanks for the nod, bella! I wanted to let you all know that we certainly can do western union payments, although yes, their transfer fees are quite high, and would be subtracted from the total prize funds.

I actually did open a separate bank account today that's just for DC prize transactions in case paypal isn't an option. This ought to make it possible to send money to anywhere w/out having to worry about the contest winner not having access to paypal.

If anyone ever has a question about receiving prize funds, feel free to contact me and we can discuss what options are available :)

~Jenn
Jenn Lindsey - Freelance Graphic Designer
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" - Joseph Chilton Pearce

My website: jennlindsey.com

Please review the new rules for DesignContest.net here

#16 phpdeveloper

phpdeveloper

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 08:04 PM

Have you guys heard of e-gold.com ? This can be a good alternative to those who don't or can't have a paypal account. True, the contest holders may not have an e-gold account, but it won't hurt to ask them about other payment methods they can use. There are also other payment systems that easily exchange to each other - evocash, e-bullion, netpay, stormpay, Intgold, GoldMoney. E-gold is the most wide-spread and has the largest turnovers. It's hard to fund an e-gold account (for a contest holder), unless they already have one, but it's easy to withdraw from an e-gold account. You can even get a debit card from them that you can use to withdraw cash from any ATM worldwide. So think about it - why not get an e-gold account now, it's free and won't hurt :) cheers!

• Guests

Posted 24 April 2004 - 08:15 PM

Well, phpdeveloper, it doesn't really matter if the contest holders have an e-gold account or not, it's Jenn's (jlinds72) opinion about it that matters. Since we have only guaranteed contests only now. All the prizes are deposited at her account and if she is willing to open an account at e-gold, she will be able to send money through this payment system to any DC user with e-gold. This is how it works now :) She has a paypal and she can accept money from clients though it, that's for sure, because that's how it's been so far.

#18 phpdeveloper

phpdeveloper

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 08:19 PM

Ok, then the task is even simpler than what I thought. Contest holder deposits into Jenn's paypal account. Jenn should have an e-gold account for those who don't have paypal and they receive e-gold payments from her and then exchange to other systems or withdraw with debit cards, etc. The only problem is how Jenn will be funding her e-gold account, as it's a little tricky, you can't do it with a credit card, only through a check, bank wire, money order and other methods.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users