Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

How hard is it to become an Elite Designer?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 Warner Design

Warner Design

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

I know this is kind of an open ended question and it is different for everyone but in general how hard is it to become an Elite Designer?

How many times have you tried for it and not gotten it?

#2 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:50 PM

I can only speek for myself here. but think it really isn't that difficult to become part of the elite..
As long as you have a well put togeather portfolio and your work is strong. Try to display a broad range of design work. good/strong corp. type of work and give a show of your illustrative logo works. Also being a good contributing member of the site is a big part of it. cause you can pass the logo part but if your not contributing to the site you can be shot down by the final step of the community voting you in.

My first attempt was shot down. but my portfolio was week for the most part. I didn't display my versitility. my kerning was sloppy and I didn't choose my best pieces really displaying I had what it took to become a member. So I'll be attempting again here soon.. You get another shot after 60 days, I believe (not 100% on that but?) I think I have like 15 more days or something close to that?

good luck. I'd say show some of your work in the works in progress or finished pieces and see what others think.

#3 Warner Design

Warner Design

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for the great advice. I will probably apply here soon.

#4 Sepultura

Sepultura

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

Im gonna became the best one ;)

#5 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:27 PM

everything is subjective. lol ;)

#6 dshock

dshock

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

Wait your turn :D

#7 deleted member

deleted member

Banned

• Banned
  • 201 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:15 AM

Wait your turn :D

yeah lol i've been here longer than all ya'll ;)

I got shot down my first time but my portfolio was weak... reapplied 2X since then (60 days appart) but still no word... plus i really should update my portfolio again :rolleyes:

#8 kstudiofx

kstudiofx

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:14 PM

i think my portfolio is pretty good, i'm in the application process, but it doesn't look good for me right now =( i guess i gotta just keep at it and hope that maybe one day I'll be able to participate.

#9 Guest_naciger_*

Guest_naciger_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:49 PM

hey, i'm new here... just registered today... I'm interested in becoming an elite designer.

Lets say you do apply to be one, how long does it take till your approved?

#10 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

hey, i'm new here... just registered today... I'm interested in becoming an elite designer.

Lets say you do apply to be one, how long does it take till your approved?

ruffly about a month. There is more to it then just saying yes or no. It's an acctual process, which ensures the contest holders get the best for their money.;)

#11 tsmith

tsmith

• Designer
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:22 AM

I'd like to say it's 90% how good your portfolio looks. However, it is looking like your peer reviews play a significant part also. I am a bit surprised to be honest on some of the voting results.

Myself, and a couple others (who I have noticed are always positive and helpful) have received a fair share of negative votes. I can't help but be curious about them and how I/we were unknowingly not helpful to some people here.

With that said, be always are of your feedback and see it from both your shoes and the receiver's. Be polite and mature and back up any unclear feedback you have with links or examples.

I urge anyone who has a neutral view of kstudiofx, yossmoss, and any other candidates to vote here if we have contributed to your visits here in a positive way.

#12 yossmoss

yossmoss

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

indeed, tsmith mate i have no idea how exactlly we contribute to this place in a realy negative way... specially when mostly i see only informative and helpfull posts from the candidates.
but i guess everyone have their reasons?...

good luck any way :)

as for the thread question, i guess i`ll be able to answer it much more easly after we`ll be done with the process.

cheerzzz

#13 kstudiofx

kstudiofx

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

i know my portfolio is decent but then it comes to the voting and I feel like I've been participating well here. starting up posts sending links to things that I believe people could find useful but then my voting is up today and you need at least 2 more positive votes than negative and i have 4 neg and 4 positive. i wonder how i ever contributed negatively in any way with anyone here. i'm a little disappointed in that. i really am.

• Guests

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:50 PM

i wonder how i ever contributed negatively in any way with anyone here.

The question is not about negative contribution, it's only about positive input. Maybe some members just missed your posts, or don't remember you. In this case they would vote "no".
Anyway, the poll is a subject for a different discussion, we probably shouldn't hijack this thread.

#15 kstudiofx

kstudiofx

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

i wish it would be reworded then because it seems like it's me not contributing in a positive way at all. ok i'll stop. good luck to everyone else that's in the polls right now. =) we're all fighting for the same cause hahah jk

#16 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

i know my portfolio is decent but then it comes to the voting and I feel like I've been participating well here. starting up posts sending links to things that I believe people could find useful but then my voting is up today and you need at least 2 more positive votes than negative and i have 4 neg and 4 positive. i wonder how i ever contributed negatively in any way with anyone here. i'm a little disappointed in that. i really am.

It's not saying that you posted neg. It's just a yes or no question on how other member (not only Elite) felt you gave to this site. If someone feels you didn't really submit anything help full they'll simply vote no. It's not a negative thing it just has to go one way or another.

Anyway, the poll is a subject for a different discussion, we probably shouldn't hijack this thread.

I don't think it's hijacking this thread. But there have been other discussions on it. But one more wouldn't hurt since not everyone is going to read the stuff at the top. ;)

i wish it would be reworded then because it seems like it's me not contributing in a positive way at all. ok i'll stop. good luck to everyone else that's in the polls right now. =) we're all fighting for the same cause hahah jk

I think it worded quite well. Did you click on the link in the voting area explaining it? I think you did but for those that haven't here it is again - http://www.designcon...ing-system.html

I also took my time away from work and creating designs and I have labels and boxes to design as well. To give you all and anyone else that might read this some links to discussions about this subject.
http://www.designcon...it-entries.html

http://www.designcon...pplication.html

http://www.designcon...-designers.html

http://www.designcon...c-contests.html

#17 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

I'd also like to add that if anyone one of you wants to get my views on why you might have NO or Yes votes. I will give you a screen print of what I do and how I decided (or just tell you my opinion.. whatever works for you).
I know that I'm not the only one that takes the time to go back and re-read what you all have posted. Some others may just go by who they remember and if your not remembered you must not have contributed to the site. I Know there are a majority that will read what you have written.

Most of the time I'm one of the first to vote. and have had strong feelings about how to vote yes or no LONG before I'd ever become a member of the Elite team. If I go through your post and see things that look like you are basically say ooooh cool or neat (in more or less words) then I'll vote no.
If I'm on the fence as to vote yes or no I'll call you out or ask you a question. I will rarely if ever try to persuade a vote one way or another.

You can also look at my voting and see that I encouraged everyone to view anything I've posted. http://www.designcon...your-votes.html

Edited by Coy, 14 August 2009 - 05:43 PM.

#18 susanspy

susanspy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

Hello all,

susan here nice to read the content in the posts, but i found the web site link posted in the signature more impressive than the post they really are a mirror of each individual, thats nice to see.

Cheers!!!

#19 Euphoria

Euphoria

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

I think I'll be waiting a while before I apply, my portfolio has no logo design in it yet, so it's pretty much only print graphics so far. Any other thoughts as to what I should try to put in there other than logos?

#20 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

Hello all,

but i found the web site link posted in the signature more impressive than the post they really are a mirror of each individual, thats nice to see.

Cheers!!!

kinda lost me?
what link in what sig.
what/who are a mirror of each individual.. ?
What's nice to see? the mirror or the link???
But I guess it doesn't matter since you've only been here one day, made one post and no return?;)

I think I'll be waiting a while before I apply, my portfolio has no logo design in it yet, so it's pretty much only print graphics so far. Any other thoughts as to what I should try to put in there other than logos?

It depends on what contests you'd like to participate in. web, illustrative, print then I'd submit those as well.

You can be approved for one or all. I've only been accepted for the logo contests. therefor I can't participate in web or print designs or what ever other paid contests there are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users