2009 Pepsi Logo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
&nsbp;

#1 Brewman2010

Brewman2010

• Designer
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:17 PM

I would be interested in hearing what people think of the latest Pepsi logo. I've liked their progression over the last 2 decades, until I saw there latest offering a few months back. I don't really think its that attractive. Your thoughts?

#2 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 01:24 AM

Brewman, I agree with you... they were on a good path of improvement since their inception, until this last one...

But, more interestingly - they paid several hundred million dollars for the re-branding, and the 27-page design brief from the firm that created the new logo is completely asinine. I can't believe someone created this for Pepsi, and even more unbelievable is that they bought it!

You can download the design brief here: Pepsi Logo Design Brief: Branding Lunacy to the Max | New Ideas | Fast Company You'll have to skip past the ad on the opening page.

When i first saw this, I thought it had to be a joke. A part of me hopes that it is a joke and I just haven't figured that out yet... Check it out, I want to know what other people think of this!
:) Brandy

#3 jiaix

jiaix

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

muahaha ... dude, it's an emoticon ... not bad, not bad, good for animations and toys, easy to relate, can extort a ton of money with it through kids ... brilliant, breathtaking

as to the 'explanation' - well how exactly would you explain art to a dead rabbit without losing your diginity and poise? of course you'll make comparisons that are so blatant they look obscene.(i mean it's considered to be a bad image for a corporation to think like a corporation and if they'd came out with the aforementioned reasoning they'd be crucified in the media)

#4 Astel

Astel

• Guests
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

I agree. I think the new logo is a little soft. It's looks more like a skin care product or something. Interestingly enough, the original logo was pretty modern considering how long it was around. Much bolder than the new one. Shouldn't mess with a good thing sometimes...

#5 mgray

mgray

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:09 AM

The more you have it around the more it grows. The design group that did it is led by a really good designer, when not caught up in the bottom line. Peter Arnell was taught by some of the best and learned before computers became a handicap to design. Sure we can do things faster and quicker, but sometimes you have to miss a t-square or something done by hand. The creative or design brief is long, but that's the problem today with design–how much of it is done by a brief or research? Not enough, and maybe it is just pretty pictures? Not saying I like the new design nor should they have paid 1M for it, but there is some background in who did it and why it was done. Peace.

#6 bubble

bubble

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:04 AM

I think the old logo was too strong in people's mind and now is like they are facing a new product. Personally i don't find the new one that good, although is modern and can't blame the idea behind.
It is less visible. I was walking few days ago and saw some banners on the street for pepsi.
Even the outdoor advertises seem to be a bit faded and not visible. Even the colors, saturated green, orange, pink, it's a bit too much of an upgrade.

The old one was much stronger. Now is like i'm having a new brand of drinks.

#7 EMkaaY

EMkaaY

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

When I first saw this thing printed on a label of a bottle I thought someone made a mistake printing it...

A good example of using emoticons as or in a logo is chiquita bananas: designed.nu | Chiquita logo

I don't like the idea behind pepsis new logo :/

#8 funksobravo

funksobravo

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:21 AM

i really found it interesting

#9 Eagle Hunter

Eagle Hunter

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:20 AM

The old one was more Beautiful.
New logo is not too bad, but it's not that interesting.

#10 RFT_Concepts

RFT_Concepts

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:01 AM

The new pepsi logo is supposed to be a smile but I honestly don't see it. I like their new sleek branding though.

#11 like an angel

like an angel

• Designer
  • 1422 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:41 PM

check these out :D
found them while googling the new logo :p

LOOOLLLL

♥ Selma ♥
DesignContest on Facebook

#12 aset

aset

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:21 PM

If that is meant to be an emoticon it looks like a smiley face with an awkward smile to me. Like that smile you do when you're not too sure about something.

There is something not quite right about that middle vector. It just doesn't have a good 'flow' to it.

I much prefer the old one as well. Gives the company a stronger stance I believe.

Several hundred million for re-branding i'd take that though :cool:

#13 876Fearless

876Fearless

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

Perhaps they are trying to cash in on the obama logo similarity?

#14 mmhide

mmhide

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

For me, I want to know the reason why to change the logo. Its understandable to redesign a logo to be more clean and outstanding like Sprite and amazon.com, but the pepsi one doesn't make that much impact on me as those redesign logos. I think maybe pepsi want to innovate the the whole image of the company.

#15 VanPatten

VanPatten

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 11:45 PM

the old logo was so iconic...why fix what's not broken? the re-brand seemed incredibly unnecessary.

Coca Cola Classic all the way.

#16 JoelKelly

JoelKelly

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

Haha I like the heavy guy logo tweak. With the influence of the internet they may have to switch back if their logo becomes too much of a runaway joke.

#17 MParts

MParts

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

LOOOLLLL

Nice :D this examples makes almost as much sense as that smiling faces :) But people, just think... These new logo designers had to write something for this much money even if they do not believe in that :D They kind of..."You know guys...we made nice logo, but if we want get money we now need to think of realy super awesome background story" :D

#18 belen matos

belen matos

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:53 AM

Pepsy logo seems to be very retro... Don´t you think?

#19 SenseCreate

SenseCreate

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:24 AM

new pepsi logo look like a dentistry smile logo...

#20 meemee

meemee

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

LOOOLLLL

Hahaha that made me laugh :) Great way of looking at it :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users