Copyright infringement read all

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#41 nightelf082884

nightelf082884

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:24 AM

I'm starting to realize that, I violated the guidelines 1s, never again....

#42 MCastagnola

MCastagnola

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:22 AM

How did you violate the guidelines?

#43 sa7ary

sa7ary

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:50 AM

oh thank you. something to keep always in mind

#44 DCreations

DCreations

• Designer
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

now i know. thanks

#45 einstine

einstine

Banned

• Banned
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

Thanks for sharing. This one is a good guide.. :-)

#46 RomaRio

RomaRio

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

It's really interesting. But are this representation in World Convention COPYRIGHT?

#47 Jaraigo

Jaraigo

• Designer
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

thanks, very useful.
fair game

#48 NLCE

NLCE

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

Very good to know. Thanks.

#49 darkobovan

darkobovan

• Designer
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Thanks to eximius for sharing it with us!

#50 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:20 AM

Question:
Many new brushes are available for Illustrator. Some brushes have a public domain art quality. They seem sort or like a type of clip art to me. Is there a policy to for designers with regard to brushes? It may need to be on a case by case basis. Some seem clearly acceptable, and some seem clearly not acceptable.

#51 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:43 AM

All logos are required to be created 100% by you the designer, no clipart, no brushes, no dingbats no existing art is allowed in logo contests. Logo artwork is required to be original art created by the designer that submits the entry. If you didn't create the art then do not enter that work

Thank you for the question : )
  • weiesnbach likes this

Like us on facebook

#52 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36422 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

I was wondering about the same thing with the brushes, as there are a plenty ways to use them differently with imagination.

#53 meki22

meki22

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:13 AM

Dear Moderators,

I posted a thread earlier today regarding my question about my artwork being too similar to a clipart. I don't know if i am just blind or if the thread was taken down. If it was taken down i am very curious to know why. It would be helpful if I could speak to a moderator privately but I can't seem to locate a Private Message button anywhere.

I will post my question again and I really do hope I get a more definite answer other than "All logos are required to be created 100% by you the designer, no clipart, no brushes, no dingbats no existing art is allowed in logo contests."

As a designer, sometimes I look for existing art that I can mimic. I say mimic and not downright copy and paste. Earlier today all my entries were taken down because it said I used clipart. I found an art of an elephant that I thought I could mimic. So i took that art, traced it in illustrator. Let me clarify that when i say "traced" i mean i used the pen tool and traced elements of the art that I could later modify myself.) Now I'm wondering if this makes my art NOT 100% mine since I just "traced" it. I could do the same with a picture of a real elephant but that would be more time consuming and difficult to say the least. After a couple of revisions from the client, all my entries were taken down. I tried to message a Mod but couldn't figure out how as I just want to know. This was very embarrassing for me in front of a potential client as I do not want to come off as a thief as I am not and i respect other designers work. I submitted a ticket through the website asking about this but i also got the same "Your art must be 100%..." reply. I understand this but again I must know if I crossed the line somewhere. This is a genuine honest to goodness question as I will use this guideline in the future. Attached are the two artworks in question. The colored one is the clipart one and the green one is mine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Before anyone judges, let me say that I have found someone else who essentially took a line art and "copied" it into vector format with some obvious changes. I do not want to point out that person but I believe that if the Mods are going to be strict about my art then it should be fair that it is applicable across the board. I hope you can shed light into this. Thank you! :)

P.S. Im still wondering where my original thread went and if it was taken down I want to know why. I don't believe i said anything wrong. This would also help me avoid any future mistake about posting threads.

#54 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:16 AM

Dear Moderators,

I posted a thread earlier today regarding my question about my artwork being too similar to a clipart. I don't know if i am just blind or if the thread was taken down. If it was taken down i am very curious to know why. It would be helpful if I could speak to a moderator privately but I can't seem to locate a Private Message button anywhere.

I will post my question again and I really do hope I get a more definite answer other than "All logos are required to be created 100% by you the designer, no clipart, no brushes, no dingbats no existing art is allowed in logo contests."

As a designer, sometimes I look for existing art that I can mimic. I say mimic and not downright copy and paste. Earlier today all my entries were taken down because it said I used clipart. I found an art of an elephant that I thought I could mimic. So i took that art, traced it in illustrator. Let me clarify that when i say "traced" i mean i used the pen tool and traced elements of the art that I could later modify myself.) Now I'm wondering if this makes my art NOT 100% mine since I just "traced" it. I could do the same with a picture of a real elephant but that would be more time consuming and difficult to say the least. After a couple of revisions from the client, all my entries were taken down. I tried to message a Mod but couldn't figure out how as I just want to know. This was very embarrassing for me in front of a potential client as I do not want to come off as a thief as I am not and i respect other designers work. I submitted a ticket through the website asking about this but i also got the same "Your art must be 100%..." reply. I understand this but again I must know if I crossed the line somewhere. This is a genuine honest to goodness question as I will use this guideline in the future. Attached are the two artworks in question. The colored one is the clipart one and the green one is mine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Before anyone judges, let me say that I have found someone else who essentially took a line art and "copied" it into vector format with some obvious changes. I do not want to point out that person but I believe that if the Mods are going to be strict about my art then it should be fair that it is applicable across the board. I hope you can shed light into this. Thank you! :)

P.S. Im still wondering where my original thread went and if it was taken down I want to know why. I don't believe i said anything wrong. This would also help me avoid any future mistake about posting threads.

Your original thread was moved to chat with mods. http://www.designcon...oo-similar.html

If you want to chat about this in open chat that is up to you

If you find art that has been copied then please use the report button that is what it is for. Our mods try very hard to find the clipart and copied art but we need the eyes of designers also

Like us on facebook

#55 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:51 AM

meki22,
Your art is way, way to close a copy for a logo. Close enough that the logo could not be trademarked by the purchaser. You may be "inspired" by other art, but you may not trace it closely and try to call it original. That you think that your process is acceptable makes me believe that you do not have and understanding the trademark, copyright, law. Thus you have not complied with the necessary rules that all creative crowdsource sites demand.
To be fair, evan nationally famous artists have run afoul of your process. Shepard Fairey, who did the famous iconic Obama Hope 2008 poster, based it on a photograph he did not have the rights to.
Barack Obama "Hope" poster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was a very expensive and painful lesson for the artist.

#56 meki22

meki22

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:38 AM

Your original thread was moved to chat with mods. http://www.designcon...oo-similar.html

If you want to chat about this in open chat that is up to you

If you find art that has been copied then please use the report button that is what it is for. Our mods try very hard to find the clipart and copied art but we need the eyes of designers also

Thank you for clearing that up. Had me wondering :)

meki22,
Your art is way, way to close a copy for a logo. Close enough that the logo could not be trademarked by the purchaser. You may be "inspired" by other art, but you may not trace it closely and try to call it original. That you think that your process is acceptable makes me believe that you do not have and understanding the trademark, copyright, law. Thus you have not complied with the necessary rules that all creative crowdsource sites demand.
To be fair, evan nationally famous artists have run afoul of your process. Shepard Fairey, who did the famous iconic Obama Hope 2008 poster, based it on a photograph he did not have the rights to.
Barack Obama "Hope" poster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This was a very expensive and painful lesson for the artist.

Hello Herbert,

I see your point and thank you! I will work on the design and modify it. Hopefully this time it'll be different enough to be approved. I'm glad I at least have this type of medium to learn the painful lessons that are to come my way. I'm sure there will be more but constructive criticisms like yours will help me minimize those headaches.

#57 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:23 AM

Hi Meki22,
Thank you.
There are many skilled and talented artists in the East who do not get a Western legal education with their training. You will be highly successful if you would just draw your OWN elephant.:)

#58 forget41forget

forget41forget

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

Hi, everybody. At me yesterday removed work from competition. The moderator wrote that I used clipart. I tried to discuss this question with the moderator but the answer didn't receive. And here at me such question how moderators define 100% it is design drawing or not? I think that if the moderator is sure that I used clipart then it can show what clipart I used. Maybe I don't understand something or the rule of a site didn't read up. I will be grateful for the answer and explanations further not to receive preventions.

#59 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

Hi, everybody. At me yesterday removed work from competition. The moderator wrote that I used clipart. I tried to discuss this question with the moderator but the answer didn't receive. And here at me such question how moderators define 100% it is design drawing or not? I think that if the moderator is sure that I used clipart then it can show what clipart I used. Maybe I don't understand something or the rule of a site didn't read up. I will be grateful for the answer and explanations further not to receive preventions.

Hi forget41forget. If you are referring to the logo you submitted for the enessen contest, make a new thread in the Chat with the Mods forum and we can discuss this further if needed. Sorry I didn't receive any messages/questions about it

#60 forget41forget

forget41forget

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:30 PM

Hi forget41forget. If you are referring to the logo you submitted for the enessen contest, make a new thread in the Chat with the Mods forum and we can discuss this further if needed. Sorry I didn't receive any messages/questions about it

Many thanks for the answer. Yes really I mean this competition. There in competition I wrote to the moderator but to me didn't answer. I didn't use clipart in this work but can be repeated whose that work. Simply I am afraid to violate rules as read them before entering community of designers but probably didn't study them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users