What is a good logo?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#61 first

first

• Designer
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

Point #1. The client is always right, because it orders work and pays money.
Point #2. If you consider that your work better and demands the best estimation, look at point #1

#62 DONALDBAKER

DONALDBAKER

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:16 AM

I get frustrated with the contests when the CH doesn't really tell you what you're doing wrong so you can make the necessary changes. They expect you to look at the front running designs and use them as inspiration, but all that does is force you to more or less copy someone else. If that's what you have to do to win a contest, fine, but it seems unfair to the other designer who came up with the original idea. I don't think anyone here wants to be labeled as a copy cat. I always try to go in my own direction and hope I break through somehow. However, when someone takes my idea and takes it to another level where I can't, I bow to the better designer and take solace in the fact that he used my idea and made it better. It's all you can do.

#63 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

I get frustrated with the contests when the CH doesn't really tell you what you're doing wrong so you can make the necessary changes. They expect you to look at the front running designs and use them as inspiration, but all that does is force you to more or less copy someone else. If that's what you have to do to win a contest, fine, but it seems unfair to the other designer who came up with the original idea. I don't think anyone here wants to be labeled as a copy cat. I always try to go in my own direction and hope I break through somehow. However, when someone takes my idea and takes it to another level where I can't, I bow to the better designer and take solace in the fact that he used my idea and made it better. It's all you can do.

I can name a few here that like to be copy cats and try very hard at it lol. So I dont think its a title that matters but the money.. Not true designers and just give those who are true a bad rep

#64 first

first

• Designer
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:10 AM

In my opinion, blind competitions are fair only. Where nobody sees projects of other designers.

#65 Mabding

Mabding

• Designer
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

" The client dictates the final judgment, and for good or bad, just respect by the final result "
I liked this sentence ..
Everything relates to the contest holder .. His own taste ..

#66 first

first

• Designer
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

" The client dictates the final judgment, and for good or bad, just respect by the final result "
I liked this sentence ..
Everything relates to the contest holder .. His own taste ..

I completely agree with your opinion. The opinion of the client should be respected.

#67 Keosh

Keosh

Banned

• Banned
  • 172 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

actually even though we don't like the winner's logo, that's what the CH choice. even we can see that the kerning were not properly applied and some text aligning were not properly in place, its always the CH choice. as every person has its own view and look for a design.

#68 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

Hello designers, when I launched this post "after all what is a good logo?", Already gave notice that there is no perfect logo, yes there is a concept and an idea that lead us to sell a product to a customer, and that, dealing with a number of entries, the client evaluates your personal taste which is the design that identifies more for your business. In the eyes of a designer, we have a different perception has what is a good or bad just depends on the applied colors, the fonts used or the kind of symbol used etc ... is typical of a designer to do this reading in a split second. On the other hand we have the eternal problem, those who are not designers root and try to catch the ideas of others, displaying an original concept. why I think that competitions should be blind, as some sites design contests are already doing. I've been through a lot and each one has their rules .... but honestly the design contest is by far the best, for the excellent designers, for your honesty and the splendid team. Thank you and keep up the good work. Z

#69 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

maybe is of the subject but..

@zounds your design for badido logo and label is brilliant! I hope CH will like it :) all the best!

#70 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hey operhal, i really apreciate your work, this logo took 3 days to be built, but the labels are not part of the contest, only asked to ch permission to apply the logo. But I enjoyed a lot doing the logo, good concept, good product. we'll see :) thank you mate.

#71 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Thank you operhal :cool: , I was looking for a way to tell zounds about his bandido logo !!! this is amazing, I was so impressed I had to look at it a little while to see all the details, brilliant!

#72 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

:) yeah, I felt the same way - I wish there is some chat between designers :)

#73 Keosh

Keosh

Banned

• Banned
  • 172 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

yeah i saw that once. its really amazing. he's really a professional designer... from what application did you made that zounds?

#74 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hi guys, thx for your comments, this logo is 100% vectorial (illustrator), I also used it, and I share all of you the best free website mock ups Photoshop Product Packaging Brand Mockup Cover Actions to incorporate labels, most of the time i use cinema 4d for mock ups, but this site is the most effective and fast, thx all, all the best.

#75 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Great! thanks! ;) I have one question for you - did you use some tablet to make that logo or just mouse ?:)

#76 zounds

zounds

• Designer
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

At the moment i use Intuos4 Extra Large Professional Pen Tablet | Wacom I think to change soon Cintiq 22HD touch Pen Display | Wacom this one is amazing tool :)

#77 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

Oh my God! Cintiq is unbelievable :(

#78 corto_malteze

corto_malteze

• Designer
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

In my opinion, blind competitions are fair only. Where nobody sees projects of other designers.

Totaly agree, this is the only way where you cannot see 20 or more allmost identical designs

#79 orideas

orideas

• Designer
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

I agree with opinion that blind competitions are fair only. And nobody sees projects of other designers except the customer.

But if plagiarism is, in my opinion, customer will see and therefore this kind of logo are watching, because the client would not want to have copied the logo.

#80 luqueskaywalker

luqueskaywalker

• Designer
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:46 AM

I'm agree with you zounds. The good logo is at the discretion of the client. For me a good logo is one that comes from an original idea and somehow connects to the client. But I hate the designers who take advantage of the work of others and copied and win contest, that's not a good design but a good copy retouched

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users