Where do you study?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 David Y

David Y

• Designer
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:12 PM

I'm at the secondery school. After 2 years I can start with a study. I'm thinking about designing but I also like a study in aviation.

#22 i_luv_pitza

i_luv_pitza

• Designer
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:45 PM

i m still in high school and have never got any lessons or have read any books about design/graphics...but i do look at a lot of tutorials(video) cuz they r preety ez to follow :) ....after tht...its all abt trial and error i guess...i m still learning graphics/designing as a hobby...since i plan to study medicine :D

#23 lil_azrael

lil_azrael

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 11:29 AM

i'm a stundent in economics and computer science. i want to start my own design business. i'm still learnig photoshop and i think that there will always be something new. i know webdesign too, but i don't like programming and coding :p so i'll stick to drawing, designing, FX..learning from forums and internet
God is within.
www.pixel2dor.uv.ro

#24 simsy

simsy

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

I'm still in school, but I'm graduating in 2 years and then I'm going to study Programming :)

#25 linox

linox

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:44 PM

I've studied at a local University, but Programming Languages, and dropped out in 3rd year of studies. The country where come from at that time, wasn't offering graphic design studies. Nowadays, there are different graphic design program studies, but I can not afford them.
Several years ago, I joined one of the leading graphic design companies. I learned some basic graphic design tips and tricks and was working on layout. I have experience with Heidelberg printing machines, linotronic outputs, Imposition and Photo Retouching. Meanwhile, the company needed Quality Assurance Internal Auditor for implementing the ISO 9001. I was trained by IRCA, and have Internal Auditor Certificate. Company team and I (this company has several department) have implemented the ISO 9001 certification and compleated the certification process. I was in charge of graphic design and priting department. That gave me advanced knowledge about printing process and techniques used in printing and design projects from scratch to bottom.
My graphic design and layout knowledge is mostly self learned through books and tutorials and coleague advices.
Now I work as a freelance graphic designer, and as well web design.
Because I can not afford to go to graphic design college or university I'm a student in Economics - International Economy, wishing to build a Internet based company preferably in graphic design area or trading with brandable items.

Sandra
www.prepressing.com

#26 mklaman

mklaman

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:58 PM

just joined the forums today (hello all!) and am looking to share my thoughts ideas and so on and so forth.

while in high school i never took an official "art class." like guetizo and oxygen i studied architecture and took 4 major classes involving that. i got burnt out of designing buildings and floorplans.
i always made websites and cheap graphics online outside of school, and i loved it.
so i decided to study graphic design.

i'm currently enrolled at Virginia Commonwealth University, studying graphic design.
after graduating in 1.5 years i may either go get a job, or try to get into their graduate program for graphic design, which has been ranked #4 in the nation.

having just joined, i can't comment but so much on this community.
neupix brought up an interesting point about how professionals may view this place.
in my opinion i feel my professors would neither look down upon this, or support it.
these forums, while not "professional" serve as a place to showcase work. regardless if you are receiving feedback from a 12 year old or a 40 year old degree holder, these are the people who interpret your work. it's a place where some may come and be anonymous and experiment on new concepts or ideas. a place where it doesn't really matter if you don't produce the most beautiful work. and as an added touch, you can make a few bucks from it. worst thing that could happen is that you lose the contest but still have a peice for your portfolio.

there could be more to say, but i rather not bore you all right now!

hopefully i will see you all on the boards when some open competitions come around. enjoy!

mklaman
(PS, can an admin please change my username to mklaman? i don't know how i managed to make it my email, thanks!)

• Guests

Posted 18 January 2007 - 09:04 AM

mklaman, thanks for your input and great introduction. Please, do feel free to share your thoughts about DC and the ways how we could improve it.

#28 rasterbox

rasterbox

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

Hi,

i learned graphics and web design through online communities and tutorial sites. Since my current job right now doesn't involve graphics, so am in and out in the design industry.

More power to the people behind this great forum..

Thank you.
[URL="http://www.chrissofe.com" style="border:0;"]chris sofe photography[/URL]
[URL="http://www.rasterbox.com" style="border:0;"]rasterbox media[/URL]
[URL="http://www.3dpinoy.com" style="border:0;"]3DPinoy.Com || The Online Community for Filipino CG Artists[/URL]

#29 WickedMind

WickedMind

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

I've studied graphic design for 2 years, but quit on that because the level was below my expectations. Loads of us spend loads of time on the internet, reading articles, find inspiration, do tutorials and meanwhile experiment in Photoshop or other programms. In what I see, the internet and it's content shapes the skills of designers quicker then a school does.

Depending on the visited website ofcourse, but there are sites out there which have really helpful tutorials and are backed up by a community who share their knowledge. I definately learned more on the internet then at school.

For DC?
Well, practice makes art. So as long as one participates in contests, they will become more practiced in designing stuff.

#30 lemieuxster

lemieuxster

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

I am a Communications student also studying Computer Science. I do graphic design as more of a hobby, though sometimes (often, actually) it is handy in my fields of study as well.
» lemieuxster , wasting time collecting stamps.

#31 render

render

Guru

• Designer
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 11:56 PM

to be honest with you, i never went to school for it :D . i'm self taught. i think that's why i have an unorthodox style. no textbooks here. i was using freehand, but i recently made the big switch and wow, the difference. anyhow, that's my story. well, hi everybody. and i'll see you in the forums!!
Rest in peace Nevadabadgirl

#32 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 04:38 AM

i did graphics and web stuff through out secondary school, though at uni i studied business systems which is more business IT, i did that cos i got paid to do it and got experience in the work force, now that i have graduated i am planning to do studying in marketing focusing on the "e" side of it which will allow me to further my study in practical design a bit. However generally most of the design and graphic things i know i self taught myself.
www.uiom.com.au
simple and effective design solutions

#33 mattddesign

mattddesign

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

I am currently finishing up a double BA in finearts focusing on graphic design and illustration. The school i choose and love is cal state fullerton, in orange county CA.

They have a great program. Although i love it, i cant wait to graduate and totally focus on my freelancing.

-mattddesign

#34 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:02 AM

matthdesign - is university over in the states expensive? ive been debating whether or not to move location and focus on my multimedia with a good qualification?
Cheers
www.uiom.com.au

#35 mattddesign

mattddesign

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:29 AM

Psyris- Um its ok. My tuition every semester is $1492, so roughly $3K a year, and goes up every semester, next year its already estimated to go up 10-15%. But, i was looking at going to a art school b4 i set myself up at csuf, and art academy at san francisco is approx. $30K a year. So i dont think my tuition is to bad.

I enjoy it, and think its worth it.

-maatttdesign

#36 psyris

psyris

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:49 PM

ah ok cool,thanks for the info mattdesign.
www.uiom.com.au

#37 DNDesign

DNDesign

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:54 AM

I started as a "self-taught" artist as I have a natural creative ability that started very early. After graduating from High School I was accepted to The Art Institute of Boston but couldn't attend because I could not afford it. Fast forward 18 years and I'm now going to school to get my degree in Graphic Design & Animation through the High Tech Institute. The bad part....I already have experience in the majority of the program so I'm pretty much spending a ton of dough to get the piece of paper that can say "Yeah, I can do this."

#38 jesse101

jesse101

• Designer
  • 222 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:36 AM

I went to school at CSU Montrey Bay and got my degree in print design. I also studied at a community college graphic design. I am currently thinking of going back to school to receive my Masters, however, I am still looking into that.
http://www.gdlounge.blogspot.com \ www.strategicexposure.com | Your Creative Marketing Advantage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users