• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#21 Chung Dha

Chung Dha

Guru

• Designer
  • 1439 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:43 PM

@Hackdesign , I have seen your logo's but I am not fan of them even the ones that are your favorites. Even though I have less exp and still is a student. But mainly your logo's are not special, it's just a feel I don't see a Idea or design that I would say "WOW and never though about using that or doing that way to make a logo".

You have may have more year more logo behind you but your designs and styles are not innovating. Some of them are even too clip art or just to simple. Or you have them added stuff that make them loose the simplicity of the logo or bad font choice of some of them.

You need to get more Inspiration I think and check what is the trends at the moment. Think more about a design style and more about simplicity of a logo.

@Square. The logo that are now in squarelogo portfolio are better but we do need to see what was there before so we all could judge the same as Redrum. Cause this is quite unfair showing different things and claiming that other are wrong. Its like getting a F mark and erasing the paper and rewrite it with correct answers and ask other people what you did wrong.

I almost always make sure that my logos work well when printed in one solid spot color in small sizes.

This line is big bull cause there are logo in your portfolio showing the opposites. Don't need to make sweet talks here to get people thinking different.

#22 hackdesign

hackdesign

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:42 PM

Chung Dha, it is like i said everyone has their own tastes. People love my designs. I get a lot of work and it mostly word of mouth. I design for the client. I live in a chinese market so things are a little different. I have to include chinese text alot and I dont read the language. It is a challenge. I agree some of my logos are too simple and some look a little clip arty, but that is what the client wanted. It is thir sense of design verse mine. One thing is a lot of these logos are not used by itself, so you can compliment with a good card, sign or flyer design.

I have looked at tons of logo sites and portfolios, and alot of them look the same. People copying off each other and using similar techniques. I have been in my own little world over here just doing my design. My design is more of an artform, i am also a painter with over 200 finished oil paintings. i did the corporate logo thing too ten years ago, i dont even show those, not my style anymore.

i have about 10 new logo jobs now, i will show them when they are finished and see what you think. i will take your critique without a problem. i am probably pickier than you. i look at hundreds of logos and only really like a few. see what your opinion is in ten years. And some of those logos would help a lot with a description, i am working on that.

#23 squarelogo

squarelogo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

@Square. The logo that are now in squarelogo portfolio are better but we do need to see what was there before so we all could judge the same as Redrum. Cause this is quite unfair showing different things and claiming that other are wrong. Its like getting a F mark and erasing the paper and rewrite it with correct answers and ask other people what you did wrong.

This line is big bull cause there are logo in your portfolio showing the opposites. Don't need to make sweet talks here to get people thinking different.

Chung, I've been updating and tweaking the examples on my site for months. I don't know exactly when Redrum viewed my samples, but I can tell you that the majority of what is there now has been there for a while. I only removed one logo and added a few more in the past week.

#24 squarelogo

squarelogo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:03 PM

Big bull? Just because I'm not showing the one color version doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

My new portfolio site will show both.

#25 squarelogo

squarelogo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

V's right, portfolio's are reviewed by multiple DC admins.

@Squarelogo, i mean this as constructive criticism. The logo's in your portfolio are mostly clean and professional looking, but they just don't stand out from the crowd. They remind me of the kind of stuff you'd get from those logo sites like logoworks. Just don't be afraid to add your own 'style' or creativity to your designs to make them more interesting and clever. I'm sure you're aware of logopond inspiration site; check out the featured designers there and see how their designs are so very original and many very clever. Sorry, it's hard to describe what I'm trying to say. Please understand I say this only to give you another point of view so you may improve your skills; not to put you down. You're very good, and I'm sure you'll get accepted the next time around.

Thanks for the comments Paul. It is appreciated.

#26 squarelogo

squarelogo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:09 PM

Redrum, I never intended for the thread to head in this direction. I truly just wanted some feedback from other designers.

I'm still open to this. If anyone has a moment and would like to critique any of the designs currently on my site, I would be interested to hear your impressions.

Also, I have some new projects that I'll post in a new thread to get your feedback as well.

Thanks

#27 squarelogo

squarelogo

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:13 PM

One more thing I'd like to throw out here...

Not every logo can be an award winner. Not every logo can be cutting edge.

When the bar and grill up the street wants a logo, they aren't thinking....I sure hope this logo will be featured in LogoLounge #5! They are thinking....I sure hope this brings people in for chicken wings and beer.

#28 hackdesign

hackdesign

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:45 PM

you are right. you design for the client's specific needs. sometimes the logo is awesome, sometimes it does the job. it would be nice if we could take as long as we wanted and pick the winner ourselves, but it doesn't work that way.

One more thing I'd like to throw out here...

Not every logo can be an award winner. Not every logo can be cutting edge.

When the bar and grill up the street wants a logo, they aren't thinking....I sure hope this logo will be featured in LogoLounge #5! They are thinking....I sure hope this brings people in for chicken wings and beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users