We are looking for a subtle redesign of our homepage that PRESERVES these features...
1) Leaderboard ad block above the design. How can this be redesigned to look better?
2) Header that clearly communicates "GEOLOGY.COM"... and includes a search box and horizontal navigation links.
3) Left navigation column with lots of text links and sometimes a skyscraper ad at the top.
4) The three content columns will remain. But we would like a better "look" for the News column at right.
5) Page width of about 960 pixels.
Look and feel of the project
We want a new design that looks very close to what you currently see. We do not want an extreme redesign. We simply want what we currently have to "look better".
This site gets a lot of traffic and we do not want the header to have a big graphic that will cost us a lot of bandwidth. Just the name of the site in a very clear and easy-to-read font
We want to limit the width of the design to 960 pixels in width.
Examples for inspiration
http://We like geology.com..... we want you to keep the current format and make it look better.