&nsbp;

#21 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:23 PM

history of the walmart logo here: Walmartstores.com: Walmart Logo Timeline

Personally, I think they still have some work to do... not a big fan of the "big yellow sphincter" (no offense intended, but that's the first thing that pops into my mind when I see it - i'm sure that's not the reaction they were hoping for!)

#22 Pedro

Pedro

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:38 PM

i think that the logo was really in need of some work, because it was dated, a little old but i don't think the new one made it very well, it lost power it's very "light" and lost graphic balance e it's the letters are soft, thin and light color and then theres that "star" at the side no really making a strong punch...

in my view it needs work still

see you

#23 shefshef019

shefshef019

• Designer
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 02:51 AM

Looks like a social networking site logo, LOL.

Yes, it does remind me of a social network logo. "Yeah, I just tweeted, facebooked, and walmarted you" :p

At first, I didn't like the new Walmart logo, but it's growing on me. It's not spectacular, but I like how it's a lot less rigid and blocky than the WAL*MART logo. I always equate CAPS with unnecessary SHOUTING, so it seems "quieter" too!
Designs by Jenna Sheffler: Professional portfolio
Design Intervention: Freelance graphic and web design
Technicolor Carnival: One-of-a-kind handmade jewelry and gifts

#24 Astel

Astel

• Guests
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:45 AM

Think they went away from all caps to be more appealing/inviting? Psychologically maybe? All caps can be dominating and overbearing, especially after the heat they get for the way they do business. A more toned down color as well.
I understand why they used the asterik, but... i dont know. I don't agree with using the smiley face either. It's good as an icon/character to connect them to, but not digestable everyday.

#25 mgray

mgray

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:28 AM

They had to change and they did it at the right moment. They understand the economy and the factors that play into our buying habits. They had done several changes during this (3 year ago) period and both were in our Worlds - Advertising/Design. One change ad agencies after many, many, many years, and two change logos. Design, the one thing about he logo was that the smile was never fully trade marked (various versions) and when Walmart started using it many people came out to support that fact that it was almost pure public domain (plus a lot of other uses). 60 min. did a story on it. I think if Walmart took it and ran with it, they would have had a PR nightmare. I believe the folks in Bentenville settled for something in the middle. Does anybody know who got the $$M.

#26 Astel

Astel

• Guests
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:37 AM

Logos are so tough. And sometimes a logo or design that came out decades ago may have been ahead of its time then, but couldn't make a splash now. Better sometimes to stick with something just because of the heritage and equity it carries. I've been at a few companies that just can't seem to nail it. Modernize it? Use the old one? Do something completely different?

#27 Ron Braun

Ron Braun

• Designer
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

history of the walmart logo here: Walmartstores.com: Walmart Logo Timeline

Personally, I think they still have some work to do... not a big fan of the "big yellow sphincter" (no offense intended, but that's the first thing that pops into my mind when I see it - i'm sure that's not the reaction they were hoping for!)

That's great. I was just going to comment that it looked like that, lol. I thought it was supposed to be the sun or something, but then someone commented it was a reboot of the "star" and I guess that makes sense. But as someone who only shops their grudgingly, sphincter works best.

#28 funksobravo

funksobravo

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

Walmart definitely deserves to have a better logo

#29 sdent

sdent

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 01:19 AM

Very curious as to where the star comes from??

#30 norydendevora

norydendevora

• Designer
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 03:51 AM

I don't think it will work. I think if they put it in all caps it will work. :D

#31 vulcanwolf

vulcanwolf

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:50 AM

I really like the new walmart logo. The random yellow burst is fresh which is a plus

#32 Eagle Hunter

Eagle Hunter

• Designer
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:12 AM

Without any creation and elegance, I think.

#33 belen matos

belen matos

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:02 AM

The new logo lost the strength and character that had the previous.

#34 Kramer

Kramer

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 06:01 PM

You know, I can't help but think about how much of the designer's intent may have been lost in the WM committee review, resulting in the 'sphincter'. And actually, the logo is not all that offensive to me, but I know from my own experience that what I think are my very best efforts at logo design get adjusted to death by the client, until it ceases to resemble anything that I actually 'designed'.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
http://www.jdkds.com

#35 SenseCreate

SenseCreate

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:20 AM

it's looks clean and professional...

#36 benharman

benharman

• Designer
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 03:11 AM

At least it's an improvement typographically. I don't even know why it has that little asterisk associated with it. It doesn't mean anything at all.

P.S. Wal-Mart is the devil. And I sometimes shop there.

#37 alianmorales

alianmorales

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:05 PM

I'd defenitly be in that one...Would love a shot at redoing the logo

#38 12dozen

12dozen

Banned

• Banned
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:52 PM

i agree it went from bad to real bad.

Less Hyphen, More Burst for Walmart - Brand New

Posted Image

"How can something be so bland and so nauseating at the same time?" (quoted from reader of BrandNew)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users