Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Are mockups now allowed in logo contests?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 PaintedPony

PaintedPony

Guru

• Designer
  • 1376 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:28 AM

With all the recent new changes within DC, are mockups now allowed in logo contests? I've noticed a few logo contests where designers are starting to mockup logo presentations onto shirts, hats, product, etc. Just wondering if the rules had changed to now allow mockups? Thanks.

#2 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

no not allowed in logo contests unless the contest holder requests this. Sometimes you have to read through all of the comments because a ch might ask only one designer to do a mockup.

So always go by no mockups in logo contests. If you see one that we have missed then go ahead and report the entry, so we can take a look at it

Thanks

Like us on facebook

#3 Dskwkrs

Dskwkrs

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

I feel it would be better if they just print out a copy and place it on the items preferred. All is needed is some bobby pins or sewing needles to keep them in place.

#4 anantasteyr

anantasteyr

• Designer
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

just in logo contest when mockups in not allowed? how about in other contest? like Businesscards design contest? stationery?

#5 sjkelly07

sjkelly07

• Designer
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

I would like to put myself forward on this topic. There is a logo contest currently on the go Roller Derby Where I have used a Shirt mock up for 3 of my designs. The reason being it clearly states in the original brief:

"Niagara Roller Girls are looking for an unique logo, that is athletic, feminine, and eye-catching. We would like to keep it clean, since it will most likely be cut in vinyl, and printed on shirts. And it should be something that can be produced in both black & white and colour."

I hope this was acceptable as the CH's brief did explain what the logo was to be used for. If however, i have broken the rule regarding mock-ups, then please remove my designs in question. I hope this is not the case.

Regards
SJK

#6 warastuti

warastuti

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

reality there are still some designers use the logo design mockups, as in the link: Doctors Office Needs Exciting New Logo!
allowed? or offense?

#7 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:31 AM

no mockups in "logo" contests if you see a mockup in a logo contest simply report the design. One thing to keep in mind some contestholder will ask specific designers to do a mockup so when this is reported we have to research this and take the action needed

Like us on facebook

#8 locours

locours

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

I recently submitted a mock up without reading the guidelines and I didn't know it was allowed. My entry resulted in an infraction worth 10 points and I was not allowed to comment in that contest anymore . Be careful guys :) !

#9 hang

hang

• Designer
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:32 PM

That is good with no mock up in logo design. The background should be white. I will update new rules of DC.
Thanks

#10 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36474 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:54 PM

What's up with mock ups and multiple designs on following contest?

Triviador - Medieval strategy facebook game

#11 NKDesigns

NKDesigns

• Designer
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

If the contest strictly is for a t shirt design can we mock it up?

#12 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

yes, it should always be a know if it is a logo contest unless the contestholder requests

Like us on facebook

#13 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

mockup excess :

Doctors Office Needs Exciting New Logo!

#14 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21752 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

arsOrum I talked with the contestholder this morning about this, She wants this so it will be allowed in this contest. What happens is designers see a logo contest with all of the mockups and then think hey it is ok and then a cascading effect happens, you start seeing a rush of logo contests with mockups

So please designers read the brief, read the guidelines and always always no mockups in logo contests unless the contestholder has requested or we note there is an exception for a fro a contest.

Like us on facebook

#15 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:10 AM

I have that same problem for this contest yesterday...:)

Logo for Trustripes Mobile App and Web

....Firstly, they change the brief...my notification email message late problem still not settled yet...So, I keep revising based on their old brief...until that email came...
Then, some designer put icon on their design...So the client ask me for icon mockup...I feel not to give any, so, I contact Sharie...and Sharie provide a comment for the client (thanks Sharie). Few minutes after that...that client ask me for icon mockup again...Sorry Sharie, I placea a bit strict comment for that client there. I can do an icon mockup in a snap....but I have my own self respect, and i respect fair contest for others. I know I can lose that contest for this, but WHO CARE?
Another thing, what for that icon design contest section in DC? hehehe

Edited by morabira, 04 August 2012 - 07:05 AM.

#16 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

If that client ask me for that icon again, I'm considering withdraw all of my design there.

#17 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

It is not my style complaining here and there (that is why my number of post is only 100++), but it seems that this site system become worst year by year. Even a late notification email can't be solved? It is almost a year before now again I start entering contest here although the prize here is much lower than other contest site. I don't care at all, even community contest with low price I try to give my best shot.
Last time DC is better by using a uniform canvas.

#18 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:22 AM

+1 morabira

#19 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

This kind of UNprofessional working system makes me hate my drawing canvas eximius...my brain is not relaxing for smoooooooth thinking....:)

#20 morabira

morabira

• Designer
  • 1008 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

I think I better back to korean movie & my guitar to fill my free time...:)

Edited by morabira, 04 August 2012 - 12:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users