Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

Phone support: Closed

We are back in: 1h 20m

Our business hours:

Mon — Fri, 2am — 8pm (EST)

US & EU support teams

A designer copied my style in a logo contest. What do you think aboute this?

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#41 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

Ok Sharie, when you are in LiveChat we will send you the exact image, and all the related infos about the Original Designer!

Thank You !

#42 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36603 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

ArsOrum,
well sites can't take responsibility over that, but it does bring them bad reputation.
It is designer's full responsibility regarding originality. All of us have signed agreement on the site. In order to get the prize we have to provide bank account number. So, if someone wants to go into legal hunt, it wouldn't be that hard, but it would be expensive... that's what cheaters are counting on.

#43 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

Babba,
sites hosts and offers a service, when a client decides to open a contest, he/she is trusting the site and the quality of its service, so in case something illegal happens, they are in part considered guilty and this mean that the "injured part" can also take legal actions against the site. Site is responsible for the quality of the service. It has to ensure about the originality of the logo and to guarantee that it has not been inspired by others, or copied even if only for a part. So, if there are designers that are causing a bad service under the name of the site, it is responsability of the last one to take providences against them.
What could happen if a big international business company discovers that have bought here a logo stolen from somewhere else and so they don't have the legal rights to use it?
We all think that DesignContest DOES NOT deserve this ...

#44 Redsoul

Redsoul

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:32 AM

wooww...what a fact!!...people will do anything to win the contest...such ashame..!!i doubt it that people also is a designer,they're just a pirate who claims as a designer..!!what they do is just collect the winner concept and modified it...i can't believe this,we should took an act to this kind of people,everyone who respect of the originality and creativity should help DC to report it.Maybe we can't make it vanished,but it'll give them the limited space to do such thing...

#45 dlbonanno64

dlbonanno64

• Designer
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

Inspiration and replication are two different things. In an open, viewable contest you are going to have this. The only way is to have a blind contest. I like the open contests because they give me a chance to view everyone's great work.

#46 arsOrum

arsOrum

• Designer
  • 3035 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:11 AM

@dlbonanno64
Of course here we are talking about replication and replication masked by inspiration ...

#47 riavakani

riavakani

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

It happens many times in open contests, I really appreciated that Dc has started Blind contest entry. It help us to feel secure. but still many Contest Holder does not follow blind contest. dont know why?

#48 Redsoul

Redsoul

• Designer
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

@dlbonanno64 : i think in the end of the contest the participating designer's artwork will be open and showed,it doesn't hidden forever,right?

#49 riavakani

riavakani

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

@un17ed, i agree with you..

#50 siro0112

siro0112

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:32 AM

dear sharie,

what happens if banned designer just open another sock puppet account keep doing these types of backstabbing to other creatives.

so many great designers here putting their hard work and creativity and somebody just comes and submitting top designs from other sites and won here....its cheating and showing disrespect against genuine creatives and marketplace.

#51 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36603 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:57 AM

Not only cheating and disrespect... in many countries it is considered as a strong and serious legal violence.

#52 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36603 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

I can't tell much about other sites, but as far as DC actions, they are doing everything they can to prevent these things. Not only designers are cheating, they also have clients trying to cheat. A lot of work for DC staff:).
Both parties are signing the agreement and terms of use: Terms of Services
Site is not responsible for non-original works... in case they have been aware of it and have been warned, but didn't take any actions, then they are responsible.

I'm wondering now, does in these cases DC (and other sites) inform certain client about right owning issue?

#53 sonicchronic420

sonicchronic420

• Designer
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

Does blind contest? really make the submissions better? i think it just prevents other lazy designers from copying the designs submitted.

#54 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:21 PM

Please check Nurture me play contest and mine entry # 15 and #44 by Hadeelsa!

I am waiting for admins reply.

#55 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

ADMINS!

you've send to me Inactivity notification and you want to remove 10 % of my rating points, but in the meantime i STILL WAIT for your reply in this thread.

#56 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

operhal

Why did you report the design it simple to click the "triangle" that is on each and every entry in the contest!

https://www.designco...pt-what-do-i-do

Now please tell me how is 44 a copy of 15? I see absolutely NO copying with 44 and 15
Nurture Me Play

Also this has nothing to do with your inactivity, simply post a comment in the forums and enter contests.....

I really do not think it is very cool for you to get mad at us for you "not" reporting like you should and come to find out this is completely unfounded...come on now you are using this as your inactivity post

Like us on facebook

#57 rown

rown

• Designer
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

i think maybe another shape of a contest should help, where designers can hide their work, when they want it. For sure it needs to be refine and think through the rules of this kind of contests.

Or maybe blind structure on the begining to every designer make they own concept, and then secong round ith developing on their ideas.

#58 operhal

operhal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 754 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Sharie,

first of all I am new here and I was hoping that admins is here for all members to help them with their problems. I didnt know for 'report' button but i assumed forum is place where I can explain my problem and found the answer. I didn't get one until today.

I dont know who is capable to decide if some design is copy or not - but in my professional opinion (as designer) I can tell that #44 is a copy of #15.

One member of this forum notice this:
"The only conceptually difference between those 2 designs is a tree in #44... but, there are 4 same elements (font, text positioning, heart and element with "ME" between words, which could be inspiring for making a tree)."

And I agree with this.

I am not mad - and please dont get this so personal.

#59 red

red

• Designer
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:50 AM

If you find that your entry is too much like another designers entry you can

1. come to live chat (if on line)
2. send in a help ticket
3. start a thread in chat with mods

ask us to remove the entry and we will take care of it as soon as we can. Be sure to always include the contest link and entry number you need removed

There will always be this type of thing happen in contests and these issues are not deliberate. It is the deliberate copycats that will be caught because they almost always screw up to the point of it being to "obvious" of a copy

Is the report button working? I did reported some entries but I notice the designs are still running. Not sure if the designer is just very persistent to keep the entries similar to the reported entries in the contest thinking it is ok.

#60 red

red

• Designer
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Blind contest does not really solve the problem. In fact in some cases, the copycats would just copy from an outside source and left unchecked because no one can see the entries. I think DC should have a rule of thumb what is copying and what is allowed. For example, if the concept of the logo is first introduced by a designer only he or she is the only one allowed to expand on that idea. But Whatever idea or concept mentioned in the brief by the ch is open for everyone to interpret. if Ch likes an idea introduced by a designer and ask everyone to try it, ch should be advise to refrain to do so, or Dc could give a percentage of the winning to the designer that introduce the idea to be fair. Object associated with the brand name is open for everyone to include in the design excluding any special, unique twist a designer introduce to that object in relation to the brand.

We should also have a dispute section in the thread where we can report design would be nice to have as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users