• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

Hi everyone,
First, Let me explain what I mean by font plagiarism.
I'm actually talking about font used for a contest (free font let's say).

For example the contest leader used a font and CH seems to like it.
Is that allowed for other contestant to use the same font or is it a consider as copy ?
Is there like a gentleman agreement (I know I know , I 'm naive) in DC not to use the exact same font ... Is there an official rule about it ?

#2 Stev27

Stev27

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

I do not like seeing designers "copying" each other's fonts but I do remember seeing a CH once or twice saying they liked the font someone used and then asking another designer to use the same font that the other designer used.

That would be one of the rare cases where it would be allowed only because the CH asked for it to be done. But the CH was not asking for EVERYONE to do it, just the designer he posted the feedback for.

#3 Babba

Babba

Lead Moderator

• Designer
  • 36603 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:28 PM

I'm not sure... I believe it's hard to tell if it plagiarism or coincidence.
My suggestion to admins would be to advise CHs to send PM with such revisions or instructions.

#4 vujke14

vujke14

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

what if I use a font that is paid say $ 200 I have it illegal and put it on the design, but so I edited some letters is this legal?

#5 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

No it's not legal at all (read font licence), as soon as you used someone else work, it's not legal.
My advice , there's plenty of free font site (dafont, 1001, etc ... ) in which you'll find font free for commercial use.

Of course you can edit a font and change it enough not be recognize but that's not the policy here on DesignContest and once again there's plenty of free font available.

#6 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

All fonts used in contest should always be be converted and or expanded. One reason is the client most likely will not have that font on the computer they use. If you left the font without doing this it really messes up things in several ways. Also if font was left as is and not expanded or converted it would be like selling the font with the design and you can't resell a font even the "free" fonts. The only way to sell or send the font is to own it outright and that is VERY expensive to do, buy a font outright

Like us on facebook

#7 vujke14

vujke14

• Designer
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

Thanks to information.I know that this issue is too complicated and I am agree with you.
thanks

#8 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

correct me if i'm wrong sharie, but if you're converting or expanding a font who isn't free, it's still not legal.

#9 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

correct me if i'm wrong sharie, but if you're converting or expanding a font who isn't free, it's still not legal.

I am referring to the fonts that are on your computer when you buy the computer....you can't sell those fonts even though you bought the computer with those fonts already installed.You have to read the End User License Agreement with any font you use

ALL fonts are required to be expanded and or converted, those are the rules here for all logo contests. (even if you outright own the font or made the font yourself) If the client wants the font then you can send the name of the font with the logo to the client. If the client does not have the font the logo is messed up That is one reason we require all fonts to be expanded and or converted.. As far as the fonts on the internet....you have to read the End User License Agreement in the font you downloaded, no matter if it is free or one you purchased

This is the adobe font the End User License Agreement

14.7. Font Software. If the Software includes font software --
14.7.1 You may use the font software with the Software on Computers as described in Section 2 and output the font software to any output device(s) connected to such Computer(s).
14.7.2 If the Permitted Number of Computers is five or fewer, you may download the font software to the memory (hard disk or RAM) of one output device connected to at least one of such Computers for the purpose of having the font software remain resident in such output device, and of one additional such output device for every multiple of five represented by the Permitted Number of Computers.
14.7.3 You may take a copy of the font(s) you have used for a particular file to a commercial printer or other service bureau, and such service bureau may use the font(s) to process your file, provided such service bureau has a valid license to use that particular font software.
14.7.4 You may convert and install the font software into another format for use in other environments, subject to the following conditions: A computer on which the converted font software is used or installed will be considered as one of your Permitted Number of Computers. Use of the font software you have converted will be pursuant to all the terms and conditions of this agreement. Such converted font software may be used only for your own customary internal business or personal use and may not be distributed or transferred for any purpose, except in accordance with Section 4.4 of this agreement.
14.7.5 You may embed copies of the font software into your electronic documents for the purpose of printing and viewing the document. If the font software you are embedding is identified as "licensed for editable embedding" on Adobe’s website at Adobe - Fonts : Embedding Permissions List, you may also embed copies of that font software for the additional purpose of editing your electronic documents. No other embedding rights are implied or permitted under this license.

Each and every End User License Agreement is different. Basically with adiobe you are allowed to take the font, convert or exapnd, manipulate the font either by yourself or a font manipulator program and use it in a logo design, you can't use the font and re- sell it and that is what you do if you do not expand or convert it

Like us on facebook

#10 nlroop

nlroop

• Designer
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

I know this is an older post but I was just reading a lot of things on this Discussion Board Forum that I use to or still have questions about and when I read about other designers using the "Same" font in a design contest really caught my attention.

There have been times when I would see a CH ask the designers to use a certain font or a font that looks like something they like but it really makes me upset when you post something and you see someone else have almost the same concept (font wise.) When I am talking about fonts, i'm talking more about decorative fonts. The basic fonts don't really matter to me but it's the decorative fonts that someone likes to copy. I honestly haven't had it happen to me to report anyone but I do browse through some random contest and notice it.

I'm glad that someone posted this question.

-Naomi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users