2nd and 3d place tips

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#1 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

Would be great to implement an option for contest holders to offer ~15% tip (which gets divided between 2nd and 3rd placed designers, 2nd gets 10% and 3rd gets 5%).

Let's say, the price is $300 the winner still gets $300. 15% is in addition to $300 (i.e. $45... 2nd gets $30, 3rd gets $15)

This will give additional motivation to designers.

Actually, I don't see a point to receive silver and bronze medals...just for self-esteem?

#2 cobalt

cobalt

• Designer
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

or maybe a 'contest with shortlist' offers. After 7 days, CH can pick 3 designs. They all get already like 30$ ... . And they'll have 2 more days to adjust their design (mockup ... etc..) and win the contest.

#3 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

The scheme I described perfectly works on other contest holding platform.

#4 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

Would the silver and bronze winners have to provided finished art? (Are they "paid for") Could the second and third place designs be used in future contests?
The current medals are simple "likes" by the CH without awards, some token amount might be nice if it came without strings.;)

#5 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:32 AM

Would the silver and bronze winners have to provided finished art? (Are they "paid for") Could the second and third place designs be used in future contests?
The current medals are simple "likes" by the CH without awards, some token amount might be nice if it came without strings.;)

I don't see why 2nd or 3rd place finishers would provide art unless the CH is purchasing the rights to the designs.

Giving the option to tip would be an interesting idea. Say if for example the CH receives many outstanding designs, it would show some courtesy on their part to award some of the designers for allocating their efforts towards the contest.
Some cynicism on my part... as intriguing of an idea this is, however, I don't see many CHs utilizing this feature.

#6 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

What if the "tip" was deducted from the gold medal prize money as part of the contest setup?

#7 no longer here

no longer here

• Designer
  • 1116 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

What if the "tip" was deducted from the gold medal prize money as part of the contest setup?

No, it's unfair. CH voluntarily decides to offer tips on top of the contest price BEFORE contest starts. This motivates designers to provide him quality entries. Again, this perfectly works on different design contest platform.

#8 Sanjaya Kunwar

Sanjaya Kunwar

• Designer
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

The idea of tips sounds inspiring for the creatives. Also, the ch will have two more designs, may be useful for future purpose. I ve found some contest where ch provides additional tips for the first winner, if s/he finds exceptional works.

#9 NLCE

NLCE

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

I know what it feels to get silver. After all your hardwork, it doesn't pay nothing. Well at least you get more experience.

#10 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:56 PM

What would be the benefit for the CH?

#11 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

I could see this working for both CH and designers so long as it was implemented as an upgrade/option. These contests are likely to attract many more entries than contests without this feature enabled.

If it was implemented across the board then there would be no direct benefit for the CH. Although it may attract more designers to DC, which would benefit the CH in a roundabout way.

#12 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

Options we can agree on.

A CH who is heavily engaged with designers could possibly get more and better entries. I suspect that offers to buy a losing design from designers for small dollars after the contest might decline. As it now stands...I think the discount offer to buy a losing design, in a one-on-one situation, seems more like an insult than a compliment as a CH intended.

Few CH's would use this option, but offering it as an option should be good if the implementation is carefully thought through. The administration of the feature would need to be easy and not to burdensome for DC.

Would the tipped designers still retain the design ownership for possible future use?

#13 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

Art Awards

How about a thread for "best design that didn't win".
It could be called something like Art Directors Award or Moderators' Choice?
It would be brought up whenever a really excellent design is passed over for whatever reason. Nomination by level ten designers or Mods. No cash prize, but maybe a few points and a medallion on the profile page.

#14 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

Art Awards

How about a thread for "best design that didn't win".
It could be called something like Art Directors Award or Moderators' Choice?
It would be brought up whenever a really excellent design is passed over for whatever reason. Nomination by level ten designers or Mods. No cash prize, but maybe a few points and a medallion on the profile page.

Hey Herbert go ahead and start it, this could be a great thread ... each week we can tally up what designers would have some extra designer points and special recognition

Like us on facebook

#15 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:29 PM

Thank you Sharie,
My name is mud on this site. The thread should be put up by a Mod who has the respect of other contestants. I think a lively exchange would follow. I expect it would also be very insightful for new many young designers in the forum. It may help prevent discouragement among novices.
Thanks

#16 sharie

sharie

Admin

• Administrators
  • 21753 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

Thank you Sharie,
My name is mud on this site. The thread should be put up by a Mod who has the respect of other contestants. I think a lively exchange would follow. I expect it would also be very insightful for new many young designers in the forum. It may help prevent discouragement among novices.
Thanks

I don't think your name is mud on this site.....

also many time a thread will get more action if started by a member rather than a moderator or admin, don't know why just seems that way

Like us on facebook

#17 Mayatcontest

Mayatcontest

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:11 AM

What other contest platforms have you worked on?

#18 HerbertNordal

HerbertNordal

Junior Guru

• Designer
  • 3433 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:10 AM

I do no not think that DesignContest would want competing sites mentioned on their forum. Other crowd source design sites would not want discussion of their competitors on their forums either. If you want to compete on other sites, you should probably find them on your own. There are many.
Ask Sharie if it is permitted.

#19 Jefrildsign

Jefrildsign

• Designer
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

silver medal, can provide the motivation to create a better design in the future. :)

* for silver "tip" hmm ... probably a good idea.

However, taking the award of a gold medal, it's a bad idea I think.
because, in some countries may cut 10% -25% while receiving their payments. because, some of the pieces in the payment acceptance process in his country.
thanks.
kind regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users