&nsbp;

#1 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:32 PM

Hi Folks!

I've been terrified to post my portfolio for your critiques... but finally gritting my teeth and jumping in (eeeek!). I feel like I'm off to a good start, but still a little insecure (I gotta work on that, too!).

I'd like to know what you think, I realize that I need to show more work, and am slowly adding to the portfolio as I build new designs and dig up old ones.

My aim is to one day (after I've spent some more time here and totally learned my way around) become an elite designer, and I know that in addition to participating in the forum and community contests, a well developed and diverse portfolio is important. I hope that with your critiques and advice on how to improve, I can reach my goal.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Here's the link: Brandy Arnold: Graphic Design

~Brandy :D

#2 sevehn

sevehn

• Designer
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:33 AM

hey brandyarnold!

i can relate on "just recently showing-off works" -- im on the same page on that note! - lol -- and am trying to get my hands/mind wet again into the design pool! - LOL! (and yep, am def. insecure bout my works too LOOOL!)

i checked out your works - and i have to say - your designs (to me) is bold with a clean touch! -- my fav. amongst your logos is "everydaygreen" !!! yeah! i like the color and the "softness" of the style of font! but all in all -- your designs are bold and clear enough to understand on first-glance ....

since im still a beginner myself ... i cant give solid professional advice (yet-LOL! hopefully that will change *winks*) -- but what i can comment a little bit -- is -- for the kids menu --- maybe --- make instructions a little bit bigger size font so that the kids can read or practice to read =D

but snap gurl! i dig the "boldness + clarity" of your design style!

;)
:D
--
the best is yet to come ~

#3 rapanui

rapanui

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:07 AM

Lots of original concepts and creative pieces, I'd say you're off to a great start.

I really like the "mini cities" design, it would also do a great banner for a website. Nice cute illustration on the "Beachside Critter Sitter" logo and your combination of font, color and layout works well in the "feather your nest" logo. The "Squid Roe" logo has a great concept but I might have used smoother curves for the tentacles.

Keep up the good work and I wish you all the best for the future ( and never stop enjoying yourself because that is what true design is all about : ).

#4 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:48 PM

I'm not great at giving critiques on overall portfolios and why you don't see me comment offten in this section.. (my insecurities LOL)

I'd say overall you have a good style and have some versitility between illustrative and corportate design in your logos. I only had a few moments to quickly run through the images so I didn't get a chance to really dig into anything but an overall feeling of your work. I did see a couple kerning issues with in some of the lettering but nothing to obvious. This is the area I've been working on myself for the past 8 or so months.

I'm not a big fan of the squid roe type of art as it feels like it's something my 7yr old would do. But I understand it's a look that is on the popular side at the moment and why people are doing it.

Oh im not saying you draw like a 7yr old it's just that type of art (anyone does) that my kid can do. LOL

overall a solid start to with your portfolio.

Here is a post I put togeather when I was getting my portfolio togeather.
http://www.designcon...-togeather.html

Edited by Coy, 18 December 2009 - 05:50 PM.

• brandyarnold likes this

#5 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:55 AM

thank you all for taking the time to look at my portfolio and give me your feedback, I truly appreciate it. :D

Coy, I agree about the Squid Roe type of graphic. It has a very polarizing effect on people - you either love that style or hate it. It reminds me of the Tim Burton style, like in Nightmare Before Christmas. Luckily that particular design was for the back of a boat (bow or stern - i can't remember, HA, a boat owner would slap me for calling it the "back") so the only opinion that mattered was the client (no need to attract customers, etc). Had it been a business logo, I would have fought for a more universally attractive design.

Anyway, thanks again!
:) Brandy

#6 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:56 AM

ps - that darn kerning! I've got to work on that...

#7 glyphica

glyphica

• Designer
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

Hi Brandy,

I know, it's hard putting yourself out there, so good job for having the courage to do that! :) I think overall it's a good start (obviously need more examples, but you know that). I think you have some good solid ideas. I really like your illustration for Beach Side Critter Sitter. Did you draw all the illustrations in all your logos? My favorites are Packaging Solutions, Feather your Nest, Mini Cities, and Squid Row. One suggestion for Squid Row, I think it would look neat if you integrated the tentacles with the type and take out the black box. Maybe just make another layer of the text and make it white with an outline and place both layers of text over the tentacles. Or maybe just make the box a more interesting/abstract shape more similar to the tentacles. I actually really like the style of the illustration personally. All in all, pretty good! Just need to work on your type a bit. :D

Stephanie

#8 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 01:39 AM

thanks, Stephanie!

After reading everyone's comments, I think I'll spend some time reworking the Squid Roe logo (just for fun, as the client has already put it to use a few years ago). I, too, am a fan of the Tim Burton-esque style, so I think I'll keep the choppy tentacles, but great idea integrating it into the text... I've gotta try that!

Most of my previous design work was at design firms or at my current place of employment, so I either no longer have access to those files or could jeopardize my current job by posting work done at the office... Unfortunately some of my favorite work was done several years ago with a design firm that I worked with... wish i still had those logos to add to my portfolio... oh well, I've got my whole life to make more!

Thanks again for the feedback!

#9 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:49 AM

So... reading through the forum, I've noticed a few different people post about how their application for ED was rejected the first time they applied, because of a weak portfolio, or not enough logos, etc...

I'm wondering if someone can take a look at my portfolio and let me know if it is strong enough, or if I need to add a lot more to it?

I know that the basis of a good portfolio is not necessarily quantity, but quality, but I do agree there is a necessity to show enough examples and variety to get your point as a designer across; and it's not a simple black and white answer such as: you must show 15 logos, 5 illustrations, etc...

I'm looking forward to applying soon, and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row!

Thanks guys!

#10 Skanda

Skanda

• Designer
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:49 AM

I haven´t so much experience making logos,but as I think,the best one to me is Arianne´s boat logo (I like art decó feelings u use in)...
So cleany all designs showed in...

#11 ReggieT

ReggieT

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:19 AM

I really like the active business solutions logo and bc. That one appealed to me personally.

#12 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:53 AM

thanks a bunch!! I really appreciate you all taking the time to look at my portfolio and give me feedback!

#13 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:55 AM

wow. all that just to spam for some roof repair (or whatever it is, I'm afraid to click the links)... i mean... seriously. Do these kinds of posts really work?? :eek:

#14 marzac2

marzac2

• Designer
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

I think what he was trying to say was GREAT LOGOS BRANDY! I just got to see them and I'm really enjoying your style. Keep it up.

#15 Gabber

Gabber

• Designer
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:48 AM

Some nice work in there, contrary to the others i do like the feel of the squid roe logo

I like the simple and clean look of you portfolio but maybe you could change some little things on the main page to make it better

- Design yourself a logo (yeah yeah i know, not always easy...) or at least choose a better font

- Maybe align the logo and "about the artist" to the boxes

- Let it breathe, put some more margins on top and bottom of your name, put a tiny bit more between the boxes

- Put some better quality jpg on the main page, we can see the compression. Or export them in gif if they dont have many colors.

(i just realised it was a shown'd portfolio... can you edit the code on that thing?)

#16 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:55 AM

thanks Gabber.

I agree with you on all points... the header, the misalignment, the bitmapped/oversized images, the weird spacing... those things all irritate me to no end - but, it's a free portfolio site, so the only freedom I have is in what I upload into the image areas... unfortunately i can't change any of those other things! :mad:

someday...

thanks for taking a look and giving me your thoughts, I appreciate it!

#17 monja2009

monja2009

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

Brandy you are young and really talented. I'm sure that your enthusiasm can only evolve in good experiance.
Go ahead without esitation and good luck!

#18 the3storeys

the3storeys

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

Love your work, particularly your logo designs. I am going to show them to my highschool students who are presently attempting to create their first logo in Illustrator.

#19 brandyarnold

brandyarnold

Guru

• Designer
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:19 PM

Love your work, particularly your logo designs. I am going to show them to my highschool students who are presently attempting to create their first logo in Illustrator.

Cool! :) That's quite a compliment!

#20 noxieCreative

noxieCreative

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

Hey Brandy!

Glad to get a chance to look at your portfolio. You have some really good work. What you really need to improve on... is not so much illustrator as it is your type work. Be careful to not jumble words over one another or connect them for some reason. VERY rarely is a type fine as soon as you type it into the design. Use the spacing feature with illustrator and start too move letters closer together or farther away from each other. I think that will give you a great start.

As far as becoming an ED I think you have what it takes. Wanting to be critiqued is always the first step. Granted im not an ED yet but from comparing to other ED's I think you rank fine. Also, post some of your logo's mid work to be critiqued as well. Obviously going through a whole portfolio is hard and you miss or leave out some things you would have liked to say.

Overall you are a great illustrator and designer. I think with a few more designs and implementing some new ideas you can become even better!

Thanks for showing us your portfolio =)

~n

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users