&nsbp;

#1 mkorayt

mkorayt

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

Hi ,
I am designing a personal webpage about photo-trekking in Anatolia(http://www.anadoluge...om/seyahatname/ ) website name translation is "anatolian explorer"
I am not a proffessional designer.I used some open source php applications and modified them.Most of the photos are mine but i let users to post their own photos.

I know something wrong with the website,it disturbs me.And is not user friendly.Web site is not available in English for now.But if you can check the desing and give some advice i'll be happy.Ofcourse you can look at the photos.Just login using username "designcontest" and pass "designcontest" .Photo gallery is multilingual;just scroll down and choose the flag.

Main Buttons :
Anasayfa : Mainpage
Seyahaname : Diary
Fotogezi : Photogallery
Forum : Forum

Some known issues are :
Logo compressed too much,poor quality and grains
Dark background and grey text hard to read for uncallibrated monitors
Index page is temporary page to give some advices it's not a design

So looking to hear from you...i can start it over from the beginning and design everything again.Just need some advice.

Logo is designed by me.

Thanks for your help.

website : www.anadolugezgini.com "temporary index;click logo to continue"
http://www.anadoluge...om/seyahatname/ just go there to check out the design.

#2 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:48 PM

There may be other things wrong with the site but here is what I see:

1. Nothing strikes you when you enter the site other than the logo, which is very illustrative and not very "human friendly".
Solution: Maybe adding an image or two, perhaps one (or more) of the images you have on the website (with permission of the photographer of course). You could also consider featuring a few images somewhere.

2. As you said, everything is dark, and not very inspiring.
Solution: Brighten the text and logo, and bring in other elements that contrast with the black (the shiny stat bar maybe).

3. The navigation buttons and logo give a certain feel to the top of the page, but from there down there is a totally different feel.
Suggestion: Rearrange the logo and nav. menu (other elements? up to you) and consider using rectangular buttons instead of rounded. Consistency is the key, most of the time.

As for the logo's image quality, my suggestion would be to forget the camera lens glowing red when you scroll over it and just export the image as a JPG file.

Good luck with the project :)

#3 mkorayt

mkorayt

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

most users love the classic interface of coppermine(White background,blue bars,black text).Maybe i should consider developing on it.Simplicity is the key :)

Thanks for your advice this is my second design and i think first one is better,it fits your description.

1.Re-design logo,planning to use more attractive red and green
2.Buttons will be rectangular
3.Background will be white with more photos
4.Gallery will be the index of the site instead of diary pages.

May i ask you what is wrong with an illustrative logo?What should i consider when creating a logo?

Thanks for your help :)

There may be other things wrong with the site but here is what I see:

1. Nothing strikes you when you enter the site other than the logo, which is very illustrative and not very "human friendly".
Solution: Maybe adding an image or two, perhaps one (or more) of the images you have on the website (with permission of the photographer of course). You could also consider featuring a few images somewhere.

2. As you said, everything is dark, and not very inspiring.
Solution: Brighten the text and logo, and bring in other elements that contrast with the black (the shiny stat bar maybe).

3. The navigation buttons and logo give a certain feel to the top of the page, but from there down there is a totally different feel.
Suggestion: Rearrange the logo and nav. menu (other elements? up to you) and consider using rectangular buttons instead of rounded. Consistency is the key, most of the time.

As for the logo's image quality, my suggestion would be to forget the camera lens glowing red when you scroll over it and just export the image as a JPG file.

Good luck with the project :)

#4 _Redrum

_Redrum

Retired Admin

• Designer
  • 1957 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

May i ask you what is wrong with an illustrative logo?What should i consider when creating a logo?

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it. It's just my opinion that it, alone, is a bit impersonal. You could keep the logo, but use it in conjunction with other elements to improve the look of the website.

#5 takethetrain

takethetrain

• Designer
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 03:49 PM

_Redrum got pretty much everything I had to say.

Logopond.com is a good site for logo inspiration. :)

#6 mkorayt

mkorayt

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:04 PM

Hi,
I've seen message too late...it is a nice site thanks...but my design for all site is almost complete.As i mentioned before i am not a professional but now i love the design..Simple as the users wanted and still looks good.Just some minor changes to the classic themes and custom footers and headers :)

check it at

www.anadolugezgini.com

click on the "Giris" for enter...Intro is from a free intro builder i've just bring the items together :)

Thank you all :)

_Redrum got pretty much everything I had to say.

Logopond.com is a good site for logo inspiration. :)

#7 kvasaclimited

kvasaclimited

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

The logo in flash animation is still grainy. Maybe a bit less birdies in animation and they should not be flying all over letters. It is a bit eye irritating.
Then when you go to main page. you have three different logos/letters words, all which are done with different style. They stand too much apart from each other, especialy the camera one, being a photomanipulation and the rest being drawn.
Dragan Ciric
AetherScapes

#8 mkorayt

mkorayt

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

Yes it's a little grainy because the software i used to create the animation is shareware and it just allows to 20kb image file :( I love the birds but i will think about it.

About the header,other images are not logos of the site. Turkey logo is official logo of Turkey Ministry of Culture and Tourism.I don't have to use it but love of country is so strong in Turkey as i know from my self so i put it at the top...i mean something emotional :)

And the other part with the camera...yes i think about it so much but the page looks so empty without an image.The users want a simple site so i thought this one fits best on a white simple bacground and it fits the subject...travel,photography...

Yours opinion is so valuable for me..i will think for a better header but i'll go with this one for now.(hard to find some spare time these days :( )

But if you have a better idea or if you can guide me for a better one i will be honored :)

Thanks for your time and for your help...
Best wishes...
Koray

The logo in flash animation is still grainy. Maybe a bit less birdies in animation and they should not be flying all over letters. It is a bit eye irritating.
Then when you go to main page. you have three different logos/letters words, all which are done with different style. They stand too much apart from each other, especialy the camera one, being a photomanipulation and the rest being drawn.

#9 kvasaclimited

kvasaclimited

• Designer
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

Perhaps try to change the logo so it incorporates both aspects. Or you can simply place image as part of the background (though this is not most elegant option) or to the right of "keşfedecek çok yer var…" above menu, though you would have to redesign main body a bit then.
Dragan Ciric
AetherScapes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users