• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#101 scorpionagency

scorpionagency

• Designer
  • 101 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:53 PM

scorpionagency,

Nobody here, as far as I know, gave up their brands to join the team. That is not asked to the users won belong to the team, meaning the users who are eligible to participate in the pre-paid contest (money is guaranteed and no commissions are taken from your prize, understand?)
Take my example, I have a brand of my own (origin~all design) and a brandable unique nickname, guetizo and if you notice my canvas I have there, on top, my logo, my brand in a very subtle way... its there and doesn't make any harm to DC.net and still marks my spot... more this board system, even let you palce links to your business as a signature... do you still think that somebody is giving up on anything? Don't think so.

That's great that your nickname & your signature are all you require to be happy in your branding endeavors. We each have different needs & desires, so I respect your choices as to what works best for you.

If you want to bid to a project, you have Elance and other similar sites... but beware the sharks in the open sea of projects 'cause they have been around a lot longer than you, show "proudly" the money they earn until today and their portfolio is quite extensive, so what it left for you? Bid lower and lower and cross your fingers to a client like your style and work with you....

Umm, I don't see the point of a bid system, just because I used the word "Freelance" doesn't mean I am associating all self employed designers with freelance auction design type sites.

Here's the freelance definition I was referring too:

free·lance
n. also free lance (frlns)
1. A person who sells services to employers without a long-term commitment to any of them.

~Also~

A.) a self-employed person doing specific pieces of work for various employers

Source: freelance - definition of freelance by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Here, you belong to a team, which is no more no less than the ticket to participate in paid contests and then you compete against your team mates, so no collaboration is allowed... or wanted!

Good luck on your endeavors

Right, you made that clear the first time, that this is not a collaborating freelance designer networking site & now you've also extended the definition so that collaboration with other designers is frowned upon (As per your quoted statement above).

Again, I respect you as a fellow designer & that you have a different approach for your business model. being different is what keeps us all unique in our own little ways in this saturated design industry. :)

I wish you & your business the best of success. thanks again for the clarifications.

Edited by scorpionagency, 03 October 2009 - 12:00 AM.

#102 ariel

ariel

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:05 AM

Thanks for the information , now its time to show my designs, ideas and inspirations .....
congrats for a good site.

#103 HWorks

HWorks

• Designer
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hi, sorry to bother, but I got my porfolio accepted and answered more than two months ago to redrum's email. I could not get any answer, and since his latest activities date at a lot of months ago, I hope my practice didn't get lost :confused: Thanks for anyone who can answer this.

H.

#104 NinjaPandaK

NinjaPandaK

• Designer
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:40 PM

great post man!
thanks for the help ^_^

#105 danuyudhist

danuyudhist

• Designer
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:48 PM

This discussion is very useful for beginners who want to become an elite designers. There are many points that determine a good or bad in graphic design. And I think the application reviewers of DC are professionals who have the capability in the field of graphic design. And it's all about the satisfaction of the contest holders who want the best work from us.

Becoming an Elite Designer in DC is a pride :)

Thank's for this very useful guidance

#106 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:14 AM

There are many points that determine a good or bad in graphic design.

Hi, yup..that's why, here at the DC we more focused on the community sharing and mentoring. And have fun (while learning) with comrades, by joining community contest.
That's how it's unique.

As much as possible we bring answers to questions.
And others are initiatively making threads to dicussed about important topics and concerns, we are more on the quality of rather than quantity.

Because we believe better members makes this website thrieve and grow. We also encourage them to post tips and their experiences being a designer, so others will learn from it.

Edited by robyn, 08 October 2009 - 09:21 AM.

Good Designs = Profit
:cool: my works

#107 thelb

thelb

Apprentice Designer

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

I was just curious to know what you are looking for when you say design portfolio in the requirements...I was educated in architecture, and am currently working in architecture, but have done design work for logo and webdesign, as well as t-shirts and furniture. My current portfolio represents all this work...are you looking for primarily a graphic design portfolio, or a well-rounded design portfolio?

#108 Coy

Coy

Elite Designer

• Designer
  • 2534 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

I was just curious to know what you are looking for when you say design portfolio in the requirements...I was educated in architecture, and am currently working in architecture, but have done design work for logo and webdesign, as well as t-shirts and furniture. My current portfolio represents all this work...are you looking for primarily a graphic design portfolio, or a well-rounded design portfolio?

I would aim your portfolio to what you'd like to do. We don't have any Architecture contests so I'd leave that stuff out.
If you want to do all Logo, Illustration, print, web then I'd focus on those areas. If your only interested in one then that would be your focus. ;)

#109 scorpionagency

scorpionagency

• Designer
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:33 PM

Ok, now I'm confused, Both Coy & guetizo have told me that we are "NOT" allowed to use our company brand in the top of the design canvas where the designers name goes & then today I saw this:

umm, See the company's Brand next to guetizo's name now? Are only a few members allowed to do that & others are not, or what?

I mean, telling me we are not allowed to do it & then the same people that tell me I can't, then do it them self. That's a little unfair don't you think?

If you guys allowed me to do it to I might actually apply for the Elite team, But you clearly stated that i can't several times in the above clarification posts :(

Edited by Coy, 13 October 2009 - 04:56 PM.

#110 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:03 PM

scorpionagency,

I guess you don't read much and apart from the fact that english its not my mother language I explained myself quite well (see post #54 http://www.designcon...150-post54.html) ... and in teh post below you quoted me on that, etc....

I'll make it clear for you... You can NOT use is your OWN canvas in the paid contests, that's it. Did you understand? Wasn't that you wanted to know on the first place? To use or not your own canvas? Well, you can't.
Besides I was a help in a friendly way to inform you how things work here so that you can enjoy or staying here, more I was aiding/enlightening you about something that you aren't at the moment (eleite design member) and you put me on the spot with statements like those?
Now, I want that you IMMEDIATELY remove that image 'cause I didn't gave you any permission to do it.

Paulo
thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#111 scorpionagency

scorpionagency

• Designer
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

scorpionagency,

I guess you don't read much and apart from the fact that english its not my mother language I explained myself quite well (see post #54 http://www.designcon...150-post54.html) ... and in teh post below you quoted me on that, etc....

I'll make it clear for you... You can NOT use is your OWN canvas in the paid contests, that's it. Did you understand? Wasn't that you wanted to know on the first place? To use or not your own canvas? Well, you can't.
Besides I was a help in a friendly way to inform you how things work here so that you can enjoy or staying here, more I was aiding/enlightening you about something that you aren't at the moment (eleite design member) and you put me on the spot with statements like those?
Now, I want that you IMMEDIATELY remove that image 'cause I didn't gave you any permission to do it.

Paulo

You replied to me talking about a soccer team & how you join a team you DON"T use your own brand & then you used it after telling me I am not allowed.

That image will be deleted from my server in 30 days & will remain as PROOF that are doing what I was told I am not allowed to do till then.

In addition you told me that this website is NOT for designers to collaborate & network together, i have received PM's from moderators telling me that this site "IS" for collaboration & networking of designers (Not sure why they chose not to post that in this thread though).

I no longer have any desire to be associated with design team members that claim one thing & then does another. I am happy to continue networking here with other designers as I have been doing though (Even though you said that's not what this sites for).

Besides, i feel that my question of being able to use my company brand since we use DC's canvas was a legitimate question, I also feel that after being told I am not allowed to use my brand & then seeing others using their brand is definitely subject for questioning.

I have sent a message to the head admin so that he may preview this thread in it's entirety & maybe help with some clarifications so that other members reading it aren't left confused I have been.

(Please note that i have been very respectful & conducted myself professionally with legitimate questions in each of my posts in this thread)

I still wish you & your business the best of success.

Edited by scorpionagency, 10 October 2009 - 06:44 PM.

#112 onesummer

onesummer

Guru

• Designer
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

@scorpionagency,

I believe there's a little confusion here about what is meant by your questions. from the posts I gather the following:

it appears you had two questions:

1. can a designer use his/her own canvas template for contests?

answer (as others have said) is, no, you cannot.

2. you then asked whether you can add your own company brand to the template?

this is where i believe the confusion has happened. I think the others may have thought you still meant some type of big change to DC's template, but what I infer that you mean is something smaller, like simply adding your logo next to your name on the template.

I, myself, don't feel the need to do so, as my main profile logo, as well as my signature is more than enough to brand myself (as I've seen many of the hits to my website come from DC as it is). However, yes, guetizo has put a small, looks like a favicon size, logo next to his name on the template for his entries. Whether it's truly allowed or not, you'll have to ask an admin, but you won't find any current designers complaining about such a small, insignificant addition to the template.

The reasoning for everyone using a consistent canvas is more for the benefit of the Contest Holder than the designers. It allows them to focus on the entries instead of getting distracted by any fluff like the junk I've seen on other sites that designers like to throw into their canvases. Unnecessary in my opinion. But hey, if you're going to get hung up on such a trivial thing as that, then you probably should look elsewhere. Such things on the template really are not needed though, as I can assure you that the main profile logo as well as your signature provide ample opportunities to increase the awareness of your brand to potential viewers.

as far as collaboration/networking, again I think there's some things lost in translation between your question and guetizo. By "collaboration", I think guetizo thought you meant working with other designers on the same entries to paid contests, which is not allowed. However, what I believe you mean is collaboration/networking in more general terms within the DC forums to share tips, tricks, resource web sites, software knowledge etc between designers, correct? If so, then yes, DC is a great public forum for sharing knowledge between designers.

I hope I've clarified things for you. No harm no foul.
- onesummer (paul)

visit my portfolio website at: www.pauljobson.com

#113 scorpionagency

scorpionagency

• Designer
  • 101 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:23 PM

@scorpionagency,

I believe there's a little confusion here about what is meant by your questions. from the posts I gather the following:

it appears you had two questions:

1. can a designer use his/her own canvas template for contests?

answer (as others have said) is, no, you cannot.

2. you then asked whether you can add your own company brand to the template?

this is where i believe the confusion has happened. I think the others may have thought you still meant some type of big change to DC's template, but what I infer that you mean is something smaller, like simply adding your logo next to your name on the template.

I, myself, don't feel the need to do so, as my main profile logo, as well as my signature is more than enough to brand myself (as I've seen many of the hits to my website come from DC as it is). However, yes, guetizo has put a small, looks like a favicon size, logo next to his name on the template for his entries. Whether it's truly allowed or not, you'll have to ask an admin, but you won't find any current designers complaining about such a small, insignificant addition to the template.

The reasoning for everyone using a consistent canvas is more for the benefit of the Contest Holder than the designers. It allows them to focus on the entries instead of getting distracted by any fluff like the junk I've seen on other sites that designers like to throw into their canvases. Unnecessary in my opinion. But hey, if you're going to get hung up on such a trivial thing as that, then you probably should look elsewhere. Such things on the template really are not needed though, as I can assure you that the main profile logo as well as your signature provide ample opportunities to increase the awareness of your brand to potential viewers.

as far as collaboration/networking, again I think there's some things lost in translation between your question and guetizo. By "collaboration", I think guetizo thought you meant working with other designers on the same entries to paid contests, which is not allowed. However, what I believe you mean is collaboration/networking in more general terms within the DC forums to share tips, tricks, resource web sites, software knowledge etc between designers, correct? If so, then yes, DC is a great public forum for sharing knowledge between designers.

I hope I've clarified things for you. No harm no foul.

Thanks onesummer, that is actually a very good response that provides clarity to previous mis-communiction. I appreciate you taking the time to go over the thread & post such a well thought out reply to help shed light on the gray area's.

As far as my request for using my brand image on the canvas as other members have clearly done being trivial (them being allowed to & me not), & that maybe I should go elsewhere because of it, maybe you are right & I should leave DC. However, I would like to think that I can stay here & still participate in the networking aspects & not be required to apply for the elite design team if I so choose.

I rather enjoy the networking / collaboration here as well as on other relative sites just the same. I totally understand & respect the approach of a clean canvas, however, I think the rules should be the same for ALL members & not just a select few, which Is why I sent a message to an Admin to help clarify that aspect so that other users that might desire to be a part of the elite will understand the canvas policy better & have the comfort of knowing they are on a fair & level playing field with other designers.

As for my company name being my account name & my signature links being brandable enough. Sure, it's a form of branding & definitely gathers some exposure potential. However, I would like to think that we each have a different approach to branding & that we should not be limited to just the username & sig link when providing original concepts of our work. To each their own own, trivial or not.

note: Contests (to me) are more about the branding aspects rather than the prize. sure the prize is a great bonus, but the branding aspects is where the future of a designers business is set, especially understanding all the possible issues that a contest atmosphere may or may NOT contain in regards to copyright / trademark law. One can try to moderate as best as they can, however there is always a higher chance that a client might end up with an issue rather than a solution when they are not contracting with an actual design firm.

I love the structure here (for the most part) and how there is a democratic process to becoming "elite". This does help for the most part in keeping the more genuine designers available for interaction with a ch / client. it's definitely allot better than most the "totally" open enrollment contest sites that are inundated with clipart/stock copyright/trademark violations.

I think it's important for me to express my satisfaction with DesignContest.net, however I also think it's just as important for a site / business such as this to have an active voice such as mine that may think a little different than others. At the end of the day when all the collaborating is done, we can all sit back & look over our notes, maybe even a few minor changes will take place here & there to strengthen DesignContest.net in their growth process via collaborative efforts (As all companies do). Each and every one of our voices & ideas are just as important.

Thanks again for your response, it was much appreciated & definitely helped clear up a large portion of the mis-communication, I look forward to future opportunities to share idea's back & forth. :)

#114 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:19 AM

I also think it's just as important for a site / business such as this to have an active voice such as mine that may think a little different than others. At the end of the day when all the collaborating is done, we can all sit back & look over our notes, maybe even a few minor changes will take place here & there to strengthen DesignContest.net in their growth process via collaborative efforts (As all companies do). Each and every one of our voices & ideas are just as important.

I agree, We are family here, so ties must be strong, friendship and respect... we should set example to the people getting here and want to be a part of this community.

Edited by robyn, 11 October 2009 - 03:14 AM.

Good Designs = Profit

#115 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:38 AM

However, yes, guetizo has put a small, looks like a favicon size, logo next to his name on the template for his entries. Whether it's truly allowed or not, you'll have to ask an admin, but you won't find any current designers complaining about such a small, insignificant addition to the template.

the admin should have something to say...
Because usually that entry should be transferred to 'Chat with the Mod thread' but no actions made ( i wonder why).

I guess they missed that, 'coz I believe there's no favoritism here, but somewhat I feel it.... I am confused now, LOL!

Edited by robyn, 11 October 2009 - 02:49 AM.

Good Designs = Profit

#116 danignaz

danignaz

• Designer
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

So far I am still confused but I am trying to read more info to be able to participate

#117 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:16 AM

So far I am still confused but I am trying to read more info to be able to participate

You may start to read all Sticky Threads. :D
Good Designs = Profit

#118 guetizo

guetizo

Guru

• Designer
  • 1867 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

the admin should have something to say...
Because usually that entry should be transferred to 'Chat with the Mod thread' but no actions made ( i wonder why).

Uhh.. I'm so scared....
You probaly wanna move all my entries to the Chat with mod forum 'cause they are violation... er.. what? 3 concepts per rule? Nah... they have a gradient background to make it more beautifull the logo?... nah....

ah... Robyn, please do all of us a favour when you present your concept in black & white, be sure to presented in black & white becuse grayscale isn't teh same thing, you know? And when you do that please put the whole concept and not only the icon in those 2 box on the right... you always seem to forget the text part...

I guess they missed that, 'coz I believe there's no favoritism here, but somewhat I feel it.... I am confused now, LOL!

Yes, yes, they miss that all all of teh above I mentioned, you know....
I can go on on this, you know...
thanks
guetizo origin~all portfolio | guetizo's logo~blog (showing new logos!)

#119 TheNutz

TheNutz

• Designer
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:51 AM

good luck:)

Thank you Coy.
my porfolio was accepted. what's next?
looks like i'm still Registered User.
thank you

#120 robyn

robyn

Banned

• Banned
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

@guetizo: thanks for the advise, pls. let the other designers know that, oftentimes, they don't use that 1 / 2 box/es.

my porfolio was accepted. what's next?
looks like i'm still Registered User.
thank you

hi! the nutz: next is voting process...goodluck~!

Edited by robyn, 12 October 2009 - 11:53 AM.

Good Designs = Profit

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: illustrator tips, metallic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users