Photoshop Vs Illustrator

• Please log in to reply
&nsbp;

#41 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

If I had to choose 1 it would be illustrator, but they are different tools for different purposes. Very glad that we have both.

#42 MediaDesign

MediaDesign

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

When I design a logo I use Illustrator most of the time, but I think the path features in Photoshop are much better. I don't really unterstand what the Adobe Programmers don't improve the path tool in Illustrator. Anyways, sometimes I creat a path in Photoshop and past it in Illustrator. Is there a better program to creat a illustration?

#43 GJR

GJR

• Designer
  • 2637 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

I personally find the path features in photoshop awkward and clumsy and much prefer Illustrator in that respect but that may just be because I am used to illustrator. I'm also not sure what they could do to improve the path tools because I feel they give you complete control.

I haven't come across a better program for illustration. Inkscape is great because it's free but haven't found any reason to switch. I reckon this would be a great forum topic.

#44 benwick

benwick

• Designer
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

i hear so often that people should not be using photoshop for logo creation. but having never used illustrator, and knowing photoshop cs5 in quite a lot of detail, i feel its probably whatever you know best.

#45 ammari

ammari

Banned

• Banned
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:05 PM

Illustrator is really very good, I like Illustrator more than Photoshop.

#46 MediaDesign

MediaDesign

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:09 PM

If you are used to work with Illustrator, I think it might be easier and more straight forward.

What I personally don't like about Illustrator paths is its very small picking tolerance. That means if you are slightly off you pick the path itself and not the vertex point. What is bothering me too is when you add a vertex point in the middle of a straight line it gives you a straight line too wihout anchor points. You have to pull them out manually. In Photoshop however it always gives you a precise curve between two points, that's very handy.

Anyways, if you what to construct a vector graphic Illustrator is better, but still very amateur comparing with a 3D program like Maya or Cinema 4D. To create patterns etc is way more handy in Cinema 4D for example.

My conclusion: Even Illustrator is clumpsy for me, I need to work out better ways to create vector graphics and find more straight forward solutions.

#47 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

If you are used to work with Illustrator, I think it might be easier and more straight forward.

What I personally don't like about Illustrator paths is its very small picking tolerance. That means if you are slightly off you pick the path itself and not the vertex point. What is bothering me too is when you add a vertex point in the middle of a straight line it gives you a straight line too wihout anchor points. You have to pull them out manually. In Photoshop however it always gives you a precise curve between two points, that's very handy.

Anyways, if you what to construct a vector graphic Illustrator is better, but still very amateur comparing with a 3D program like Maya or Cinema 4D. To create patterns etc is way more handy in Cinema 4D for example.

My conclusion: Even Illustrator is clumpsy for me, I need to work out better ways to create vector graphics and find more straight forward solutions.

To me there is very little difference between the pen/path tools in Photoshop and Illustrator. Maybe the problems are because of your preference settings?

#48 MediaDesign

MediaDesign

• Designer
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Thank you, I could adjust the picking tolerance, but I don't know how to change the settings so it gives me a curve when I add a vector point onto a straight line.

#49 HappyGD

HappyGD

• Designer
  • 2731 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

Thank you, I could adjust the picking tolerance, but I don't know how to change the settings so it gives me a curve when I add a vector point onto a straight line.

Oh I see what you are talking about. Yeah Illustrator does that differently because by default it thinks you want to make straight lines. It sounds like you have used the 3-point curve tool in Corel Draw before... maybe?
One thing you can do without manually creating anchor points is to select the new vector point you just made on a line, then at the top left you will see a "Convert" option... select the 2nd button "Convert selected anchor points to smooth" (see the picture below). This will give your vector point some anchors. It's not as smooth as Photoshop but it gives you a starting point

Attached File  7j8t.jpg   14.12KB   130 downloads

#50 ArtNik

ArtNik

• Designer
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Love them both! Can't imagine my life without them!!!

#51 butiks

butiks

• Designer
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

I am largely a photoshop user but i think illustrator is a great tool too. Hence prefer using both in a combo depending on what i want to do.

#52 thinkgood

thinkgood

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

in my opinion these two software (photoshop and illustrator) are incredible'..thank you for adobe for creating these powerful tools', that now a days designers are going to use'..i cant' choose any of those', i really like them both'..but for me this two have their own different uses'..it's up to the artists' (designers) which of these two is suitable for them to use' for their work..keep' up the good works to all the designers'..have a good day'..GOD BLESS

#53 ASLIKARACA

ASLIKARACA

• Designer
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Photoshop raster, illustrator vector!
deleting any of..

But you can make (shadows, feather, transparent) in illustrator too.

#54 incognito11967

incognito11967

• Designer
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

illustrator for me as i am predominatly a logo maker and logos need to be vector :)

#55 Radha

Radha

• Designer
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:04 AM

to know Photoshop Vs Illustrator
http://vandelaydesig...ator-tutorials/

#56 karakloon

karakloon

• Designer
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

I love both, by making a base design on Photoshop nand them custom-ing on Illustrator is useful, but timetaking

#57 relz2011

relz2011

Banned

• Banned
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Photoshop and Illustrator are all both best program but it depends the nature of the work. Like Photoshop is best for editing and enhancing images. Putting them real effects but Illustrator playing on a vector which is scalable in any sizes.

#58 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

• Designer
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

Illustrator definitely. Is anyone using Maya or Cinema 4D? I wonder what are they like, for logo design...?

#59 Probir Ghosh

Probir Ghosh

Banned

• Designer
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

Photoshop Vs Illustrator, both software is Best in the world.

#60 maxmix

maxmix

• Designer
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

They are booth best tools for Graphics, just have different tools and uses. Photoshop makes pixel graphic as AI vector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users