- Free consultations 24/7 and support
Phone support: Open
Ready for your call :)Our business hours:
Mon — Fri, 8am — 2am (EST)
US & EU support teamsPhone support: Closed
We are back in: 2h 34 minOur business hours:
Mon — Fri, 8am — 2am (EST)
US & EU support teams
20 Signs You’re a Designer
Designers, like other artists, have a whole other perception of the world. It’s in the little things – the way you carry out your daily routines, the things you pay attention to and the unique vision that is your gift. Sometimes it just so happens that we get carried away from finding our true calling.
It is for this reason that we have compiled a list of signs that tell you you’re unmistakably a designer (or you’re destined to be one). Designers have certain traits that distinguish them from other professionals. Primarily, they have an understanding that design is not necessarily a profession – design is a lifestyle.
Are you secretly a designer?
You Know You’re a Designer When…
1. You’re a Perfectionist
Perhaps also slightly OCD.
2. You get excited by art supplies.
You don’t walk by stationary stores, and you never walk out empty handed.
3. You carry a sketchbook wherever you go.
Doodles, notes, post-its – you have it all and its accessible 24/7 so as not to lose track of all your ideas.
4. Bad design makes you cringe.
No really, what is this madness?
5. You judge a restaurant by their menu (font choice).
You’ll likely walk out of this one.
6. In fact, you judge everyone on this scale.
You love shopping. Window font shopping and font judging.
7. Your kitchen is stocked with the most aesthetically pleasing packaging designs.
It’s not just your kitchen! Anything with great packaging design is worth your hard earned money.
8. You don’t just drive past billboards.
You pull over, and give them the attention they deserve.
9. You get annoyed by bad kerning.
Only a legitimate designer will understand this struggle.
10. You know the difference between ‘coral’ and ‘salmon’.
Why? Because this is YOU on the left!
11. You see the world in color modes.
“RGB? CMYK? I can lecture you on the difference between the two in my sleep.”
12. Your ideal habitat looks something like this.
Or it’s the starting point. Your canvas. Your masterpiece.
13. Your weakness is books.
There’s never enough books and you can’t buy all of them so your walls look like this:
14. The only greater pleasure is new magazines.
You refuse to throw them out. All the images! The layouts! The inspiration!
15. You need an external hard drive for all your great internet finds and bookmarks.
It’s one of the few things that brings you to tears:
16. You’d rather shop for fonts than for new clothes.
“Clothes? I don’t need clothes! I NEED THE PERFECT FONT!”
SEE MORE: Free fonts for designers
17. You’re easily amused by the wonders of the world.
You: “Guys look it’s a bird!”
Your friends: “No, it’s just a damn cloud.”
18. You’re always itching to MAKE STUFF.
All sorts of stuff. You’re never bored because of this unique gift.
19. This becomes an obsession:
Regardless of what you’re doing. Don’t trust technology!
20. Ironically, this is your best friend:
And you experience separation anxiety when you’re away from each other for too long.
If you’ve had doubts about yourself before, now you know you’re just a designer at heart. This realization should encourage you to fulfil your dreams and continue pursuing a creative lifestyle. You never know where it will take you.
Creative souls are a gift to us all…
I’m a designer! Now what?
If you’re not a designer yet (but have just confirmed that you are one), take action! Immerse yourself in books, research, learn new skills. When you feel like you’re ready, join DesignContest! It’s a good place to start gaining valuable experience in design. Become a member of the designers community and start working on projects. Today! Why not? You’re one step away from being a professional, don’t let this opportunity slide.
If you are a designer and you’ve found this article amusing, share your thoughts and valuable advice to help those that want to be where you are right now. Leave your comments in the comments section below. Share your wisdom and words of encouragement.
Posted on October 13, 2015
Are you a Designer?Join Us
Several weeks ago we interviewed 150 photographers from the USA, Canada, Austarlia and Europe....